acerimmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Onions, tuna, rude people,
Hi everyone,

I was admitted into hospital yesterday by my GP after a urine test showed glucose and ketones at ++++. I've been feeling fatigued, very thirsty and just not myself. I had a UTI about 5 weeks ago and had a course of antibiotics.

My blood sugars over the last 6 weeks have ranged from 15.2 first thing in the morning without breakfast to 23.8 a couple of hours after eating.

Doctor has told me to double my dose of metformin so I take 1g in the morning and evening.

The nurse and doctors took seperate blood tests yesterday and they also test my ketones in the blood and it was 1.2 and 1.9.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? The doctor did say that my blood didn't appear acidic and didn't think i needed to be admitted so I discharged myself.

Any advice on lowering ketones?

Thanks in advance.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........

acerimmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you for your reply @himtoo , much appreciated.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @acerimmer I second what @himtoo has said - please get medical help. Let us know how you get on ?

acerimmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Howdy,

*UPDATE*

I got admitted into Hospital and they did naff all. I appreciate the staff are over worked however I didn't see much point in staying when I wasn't receiving treatment.

I read on the NHS website that if you show up with the symptoms I mentioned, along with dehydration then they give you an IV of fluids. I was given a bed and all they did was take blood so I discharged myself.

I called the GP the next day and he agreed with what I read on the NHS website. He double my metformin (I now take 2g a day) along with 2 x 40mg gliclazide.

He called me yesterday and now wants me to go for a blood test to see if I am actually type 1 rather than type 2.

Tomorrow will be my first day that I am stopping Gliclazide and been put on something called Alogliptin (along with the Metformin)

My blood sugars are an average of 18.9 (according to my glucose monitor).

Ketones have reduced but obvs glucose is still sky high.

Hope you are all ok!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Howdy,

*UPDATE*

I got admitted into Hospital and they did naff all. I appreciate the staff are over worked however I didn't see much point in staying when I wasn't receiving treatment.

I read on the NHS website that if you show up with the symptoms I mentioned, along with dehydration then they give you an IV of fluids. I was given a bed and all they did was take blood so I discharged myself.

I called the GP the next day and he agreed with what I read on the NHS website. He double my metformin (I now take 2g a day) along with 2 x 40mg gliclazide.

He called me yesterday and now wants me to go for a blood test to see if I am actually type 1 rather than type 2.

Tomorrow will be my first day that I am stopping Gliclazide and been put on something called Alogliptin (along with the Metformin)

Hope you are all ok!

Hi there, just an observation really. Sometimes they simply monitor you in hospital, this is because DKA can come on very quickly and can be fatal within hours if not treated. When I first went off to the hospital with high glucose and high ketone levels, I was sat in a 'holding room' for 12 hours drinking water whilst they monitored me. I did eventually go on a drip overnight as the ketones refused to drop. I wouldn't say being monitored is them 'doing nothing'. I do hope all gets sorted for you.

acerimmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi there, just an observation really. Sometimes they simply monitor you in hospital, this is because DKA can come on very quickly and can be fatal within hours if not treated. When I first went off to the hospital with high glucose and high ketone levels, I was sat in a 'holding room' for 12 hours drinking water whilst they monitored me. I did eventually go on a drip overnight as the ketones refused to drop. I wouldn't say being monitored is them 'doing nothing'. I do hope all gets sorted for you.
Thanks for sharing and providing me with more information. My dad died in hospital a few years back and since then they make me anxious so my thoughts were if I wasn't been treated, this is the last place I should have been in! I wish they explained what you had lol.

Thanks for your kind message!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for sharing and providing me with more information. My dad died in hospital a few years back and since then they make me anxious so my thoughts were if I wasn't been treated, this is the last place I should have been in! I wish they explained what you had lol.

Thanks for your kind message!

Yes, they're definitely not great at explaining things! Sorry about your Dad. x

acerimmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks again for your info and encouragement everyone! Great & helpful forum

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @acerimmer,
please also go to the Home page and in the question box, upper right, and type in LADA.
Consider asking your GP about this condition and about the test that can be done to best prove
whether your present troubles might be related to this condition.
I hope your BSLs settle soon - high ones are so uncomfortable !!

Reactions: Cobia

acerimmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @acerimmer,
please also go to the Home page and in the question box, upper right, and type in LADA.
Consider asking your GP about this condition and about the test that can be done to best prove
I'll do that now, thank you very much

acerimmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @acerimmer,
Very interesting read, never even heard of LADA. The symptoms listed I have had most, if not all at some point. The "foggy headedness" most definitely. I have a blood test on 16th to determine type 1, I assume that this GAD test?? I shall mention it to the nurse, thanks again for the info.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Howdy,

*UPDATE*

Hope you are all ok!
'GIVING' you a bag of fluids requires quite a few steps

1) Dr to prescribe
2) Order to Pharmacy
3) Fluids to location
4) Nurse to canulate
5) find set up Baxter pump
6) administer

Sometimes patients need patience......No offence

acerimmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
'GIVING' you a bag of fluids requires quite a few steps

1) Dr to prescribe
2) Order to Pharmacy
3) Fluids to location
4) Nurse to canulate
5) find set up Baxter pump
6) administer

Sometimes patients need patience......No offence
None taken. Usually I have a lot of patience , however since not feeling right, I barely have any.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
None taken. Usually I have a lot of patience , however since not feeling right, I barely have any.
Understandable......I'm the world's worst when it comes to patience if I'm feeling like the last Turkey on the shelf at Christmas