PPI’s and Diabetes (specifically lansoprazole)

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All,

I’ve just been prescribed lansoprazole because my doctor believes I have “silent reflux” and to be fair he isn’t wrong as all of my symptoms do match up, although unsure of the cause as nothing has changed with my weight or eating habits and I don’t smoke/rarely if ever drink.

Has anyone taken lansoprazole and found it has affected your blood sugars at all? Just want to be prepared if it does, the leaflet doesn’t say anything about it and my doctor didn’t mention anything but you never know!

I should only be on it for 4 weeks.

Thanks,

Reactions: SussexGeoff

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I’ve just been prescribed lansoprazole because my doctor believes I have “silent reflux” and to be fair he isn’t wrong as all of my symptoms do match up, although unsure of the cause as nothing has changed with my weight or eating habits and I don’t smoke/rarely if ever drink.

Has anyone taken lansoprazole and found it has affected your blood sugars at all? Just want to be prepared if it does, the leaflet doesn’t say anything about it and my doctor didn’t mention anything but you never know!

I should only be on it for 4 weeks.

Thanks,
I don’t take Lanzoprazole, but my OH did for a while, following an episode with a gallstone, and a decision to give him Lanzoprazole to deal with a hiatus hernia he had had for decades. (It usually is symptom-free, provided he remain trim. Any weight on his tummy and it starts playing up.)

Anyway, it dealt with everything nicely, but over time he felt his mobility was worsening, so weaned off it. His mobility improved.

if you are only on it 4 weeks, it would be very unlucky to experience any of the potential issues with long term use, but reading the patient leaflet before deciding could be helpful. PILs are all online.

My OH doesn’t have diabetes, so he’d have no clue about blood sugar changes, but his periodic A1c all remain very good.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take Lanzoprazole and that was for stomach acid and it has helped me a lot as I have tried a few tablets before hand and they only helped me a little bit but eventually I would eat antacids like sweets and they would help for a little while as well and I had to get help and now I'm on these and I'm on the strong ones the 30 mgs and I don't have any problems now or not at present and they don't give you any side effects and I have only the side effects of the pain killers I'm on and that's it.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take Lanzoprazole and that was for stomach acid and it has helped me a lot as I have tried a few tablets before hand and they only helped me a little bit but eventually I would eat antacids like sweets and they would help for a little while as well and I had to get help and now I'm on these and I'm on the strong ones the 30 mgs and I don't have any problems now or not at present and they don't give you any side effects and I have only the side effects of the pain killers I'm on and that's it.
@Jordi77 - it's great you don't experience side effects from taking Lanzoprazole, but both the NHS and the Patient Information Leaflet which comes with every pack lists potential side effects.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a really bad time on Lanzo and so phased it out over a few weeks. However it took the better part of a year before my guts returned to normal. So it's great that none of you had problems, but they do exist.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Never had a problem just experienced extra acid and it done me in and now I don't have it and my stomach is ok as I have had the camera down to check for a ulsa and what not but nothing there so that stumped them and they just left me where I am on the high amount of Lanzoprazole 30mgs and I never went to the 15s because the doctors thought it may be better to just leave me with the 30s and that was that

Reactions: SussexGeoff

Impy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a really bad time on Lanzo and so phased it out over a few weeks. However it took the better part of a year before my guts returned to normal. So it's great that none of you had problems, but they do exist.
I was initially prescribed Lanzoprazole for acid reflux, long before I got my T2 diagnosis.

After about a month I found that my skin became incredibly sensitive to the touch and it felt like like I had a constant itch that didn't get better, even when scratched. The doctor then took me off it and prescribed me omeprazole which didn't produce any side effects.

I'm planning on dropping the omeprazole when my current prescription runs out, as I don't really experience the acid reflux any more, now that I'm on keto.

SussexGeoff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Most humans, Politics and Me Me Me types!
Interesting replies. Been on Lansoprazole for several years (Omeprazole forever before that)

I also wondered if it affected blood sugars. To be honest, I don't think it does anything for me.

I too have a hiatus hernia and it's never done anything to stop the evils of acid refluxes at night (if I ate a crumb by mistake too soon before bed )

Now I'm wondering if it's worth me stopping it for both reasons

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was initially prescribed Lanzoprazole for acid reflux, long before I got my T2 diagnosis.

After about a month I found that my skin became incredibly sensitive to the touch and it felt like like I had a constant itch that didn't get better, even when scratched. The doctor then took me off it and prescribed me omeprazole which didn't produce any side effects.

I'm planning on dropping the omeprazole when my current prescription runs out, as I don't really experience the acid reflux any more, now that I'm on keto.
If you read around on stopping these meds, it appears it really is best to taper off them, as the rebound effects can be a lot worse than the initial problem, meaning folks often end up back on them, often convinced they could never come off them.

• Winner
Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it’s often considered the problem is high acid levels. Sometimes the problem is the reverse (low acid) and ppi might short term make things feel better but long term (longer than the discussed 4 weeks) actually cause more issues. Tapering off is definitely the way to go after a long term use to prevent rebound. Also long term ppi (even used appropriatel) use can diminish uptake of vitamins and mineral, most commonly b12. Something to keep an eye on.

• Informative
Reactions: Outlier

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Funnily enough I did read in the leaflet it can affect your b12 levels, although I am on lifelong b12 injections for what they suspect is pernicious anaemia so no worries there :hilarious:. I've been on Lansoprazole now for just over a week, my symptoms have definitely improved (although the first week of side effects were not fun at all) and I can't see that it has really affected my blood sugars that much if at all.