Pre bolus with a high level

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys i wanted to ask example you was at starting 12.9mmol and was going to eat a tuna mayo sandwhich would you pre bolus with a correction aswell and how Long and what level would wait for you sugar level to go to before you would eat?.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'd certainly add in a correction, your clinic should have helped you with a correction ratio (eg 1 unit of insulin for 2mmol/L). Like insulin ratios, correction ratios vary from person to person.

Well, theoretically you should wait a bit, because you are are going to spike from the food and you ideally want to come down a bit first, but I guess it depends on how much you care about the spike and how hungry you are....

And bear in mind that if you wait an hour your insulin is likely to be acting much more potently than if you wait half an hour (I don't know which bolus you use but you can look up its time profile) so you may start to find your blood sugar plummeting if you wait too long. The trouble is, everyone has a slightly different reaction to insulin, so you need to learn you own reactions by experience.

Good luck, and happy bolusing.:)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

So would I. Add a correction dose.

Though I would also keep the carb count lower so the bolus was nominal.
Say I'm having a busy working day? I wouldn't want any nasty BG surprises around the 3rd or 4th hour. Even going into the 5th Novorapid for me can have a little lick in the tail.

Goma5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As others - I would add a correction at the ratio that works best for me (1mmol for 3-5).

You might have heard of stacking, i.e. you don't want to correct for insulin that is already effective in your system. for example, if you had injected within the last 3 hours or so, you might reduce your correction, to allow for the insulin still working.