Pre conception worries

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have terrible control, I hate talking/thinking/anything about my diabetes. I have been T1 for 17 years now and have had terrible control for at least 7 years now, being admitted with DKA 3 times - although the last time was 4 years ago now. But now is the time I need to change. Me and my husband have decided to try for a baby next year but I know how hard this will be and I understand that if I was to conceive now - I would probably miscarry. My last hospital appointment was in February this year and i get so stressed and upset when I go that my dr said its maybe best I don't go back for a while because it all hits home too much when I'm used to just blocking it out and that I should maybe not go back for a while, so I rebooked for a year away but with deciding to try for children in the near future I have brought appt forward to December this year. I am just wondering if anyone has been in this position and has managed to conceive and get there diabetes under control in a short space of time? I'm also not sure what to expect when I go other than to be shot down and told not to bother trying because that's what I'm expecting! Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you x

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Diabetes and pregnancy is not my area of knowledge or experience so I am just basing this on what I have read here.

I've read about several women with T1 who have had successful pregnancies and delivered a healthy baby while being in good health themselves. So it is possible. However, I think a good idea for you would be to have good control for a minimum of 3 months and be able to show them this when you have an appointment with a doctor to discuss trying for a baby. You might even need 6 months or more, it depends on your relationship with the doctor and their willingness to believe in your commitment to it.

I wonder if you would find the appointments as stressful if you had good control leading up to them? With pregnancy there are a lot of appointments with a lot of different health professionals, so it would good to be able to cope with them well. Maybe there are some anxiety issues about medical situations? I have those - entering a hospital, even to visit a patient, usually triggers anxiety for me. I use self-talk to get through it. If you have anxiety issues, you may be able to get help with those.

I will tag @daisy1 because she has some info about diabetes that she posts for people new to the forum, that you may find helpful when working on getting good control. Strange to say, but reducing carbohydrates can help T1s (as long as they are careful with calculating their insulin doses to compensate).

Reactions: 4 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@mollymollymolly

Hello Molly and welcome to the forum :) This is the information mentioned above which should act as a basis for you to obtain better levels. Ask any questions you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both so much for all you help. I think it definitely is some sort of anxiety about going to the hospital and if I had better control and knew I wasn't just going there to get told all the way I'm killing myself it would definately be easier hahaha! Thank you again x

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thank you both so much for all you help. I think it definitely is some sort of anxiety about going to the hospital and if I had better control and knew I wasn't just going there to get told all the way I'm killing myself it would definately be easier hahaha! Thank you again x
I'm wondering what sort of insulin regime you are on - which types of insulin do you use, and are they fixed doses or do you adjust at each meal according to the amount of carbs you are having?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on multiple injections, so I take a Latus (a set26 units) every night and nova rapid (amount varies on how many carbs I eat) with meals x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've not struggled too much with control so my HbA1C has always been ok. However, there are women here who've made excellent improvements in their control before getting pregnant, and have kept that good control up during pregnancy.

What was you latest HbA1C? Is there anything in particular that you find hard about keeping good control? Or any time of day that your sugars are particularly high?

Quite a few ladies here have a pump. I'm not sure if that's suit you, but it might be something to look into maybe.

I hate hospitals and always get nervous before I go for my consultant appointment, even though my control is very good. Last time I went, I took a friend with me. Do you do that? Would that help you at all? I found it kept me calmer beforehand, rather than getting anxious.

jade88

Hi Molly - have you been on the DAPHNE course? This helped me so much to understand carb counting etc definitely worth doing if you haven't already x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ladies, thanks for your help! No I've not been on the course - I tried before but every time I ask it is all fully booked, at my last spot I couldn't get an hba1c reading because it was too high it wouldn't give a reading apparently :(. I don't actually have a decent idea about where my bloods are because I don't even own a tester, haven't done so for a few years now, however I'm going to get one before I go back so I can at least have an idea of where I am and where I want to be, but to be honest I just don't know where to start because I've let things get so bad! Will definately ask again about the course though! Thanks again girls x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Far more important than the DAFNE course is to get a meter and start testing. Knowledge is power. If you know your blood sugar you can deal with it and control your diabetes.

Although the DAFNE course is good, you can also learn carb counting elsewhere eg from a dietician or from an online course. It gives you so much control and flexibility.

What better motivation to look,after yourself than to have a baby. If you put your mind to it, I'm sure you can improve your control a lot.

Good luck :)

Flossie101

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mollymollymolly

My daughter had very poor control of her blood sugars - she has struggled with this for the past 14 years. She discovered she was pregnant and this was not planned. Miraculously - she went from really poor control to pretty good control throughout her pregnancy. We had all of the dire warnings at every hospital visit although it was conceded that she reduced her hba1c quite significantly. She had pre- eclampsia but that was picked up straightaway and sorted out. She went on to give birth to a healthy baby!

I think you've had some really good advice from people above. I would just say that yes; its really hard getting things under control but your best weapon in the battle (as suggested above) is your own test meter. Knowledge is power! It is hard and my daughter always (still does) feel judged at her hospital appts and rarely wants to attend (save for when she was pregnant). I recognise your struggle as I've watched my daughter struggle. It is hard - but please keep the faith. One thing to mention though - please keep all of your health check appointments - especially your diabetic eye screening appts. The eye screening picked up problems with my daughter's eyes and she has had very prompt treatment.

You can do this and with the help of your meter, all of the good advice from the other posters and your diabetic team - you will get there. Good luck!

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Flossie101

Thank you so much, I'm going to try my best and see what is said at clinic in December. Off to get a meter today and start trying to keep an eye on my levels! Really good to know that I'm not the only one in this position and if other people can do it I'm sure I can too! Thank you x

Cynoxie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Molly, I've only today joined this forum as my husband and I have also decided that we want to start trying for a baby. I've had Type 1 for 14 plus years now. I've had some good and some bad times so I can completely relate to your struggle. I feel the same anxiety everytime I go to the clinic. The more in control I feel of knowing my sugar levels, the less anxious I feel. Take each day at a time and you will get there, I promise. I'm starting a strict regime and will be getting my coil removed in a few days time. I'm scared, but the dream of a healthy baby is my motivation. Make sure you tell your partner how much his support is vital to the achievement, it will help a lot. Keep us posted and I will do the same!

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Molly (and @Cynoxie ) i have had diabetes for 32 years now (most of my life) while for the past few years my levels haven't been terrible (8.9%) was my highest i think) they also werent great. However me and my husband have decided we would like to try to conceive soon so i decided to try and get my backside into gear, i have gone from 8.9% to 7.1% ( i still want to get it lower). I see my dr tomorrow to discuss what the next step is diabetes wise, im guessing its going to be pump but not sure i want to do that, i would love a cgm but obviously it would have to be self funded and that is expensive, im getting my implant removed next month, so guess time will tell. Keep positive, we can do this!

Cynoxie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lozj82 (I don't know how to properly tag someone on here!) And lovely to hear you are also trying! Let us know what the Dr says! I would love a cgm too, and what a pity they are so expensive(makes me a bit angry!) Look forward to hearing from you again.

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya @Cynoxie, went to the drs and now she is saying there are too many lows - feel i cant win, how am i supposed to get a low HB1CA without seeming too low! She wants it below 7 so still got to keep trying. I am getting a cgm for 2 weeks next month to see if anything is happening in the night that we arent picking up, at least this will give me an indication of what it is like to wear 1 (i guess a kind of try before you buy) as i may invest if i think its going to be the best thing. She did suggest the pump but says its not essential, think i will now wait and see what happens with the cgm and just keep trying my best to improve.

Like you say its great to hear from people who are in the same boat. Is your level good enough to start trying straight away?

Cynoxie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lozj82, sorry to hear about the news - it must be very fustrating. Did she take bloods again to check the HBA1C? That's the problem with tight control! Did she mention a dietician to suggest a lower glycemic diet? My hypos have improved depending on the type of carbs I eat. I'm attending the pre - conception clinic on Thursday morning so will see what they say. It's possible I may have to wait a bit longer, perhaps actively (haha!) start trying over Christmas. I'm hoping they'll give me a pump as I find it difficult injecting with my busy job. Great news on the cgm, let us know how that goes!

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No she didnt as i only had it done yesterday (you get your blood taken in the morning and the results are ready in the afternoon - im currently living in Italy and very impressed with the blood side of things here). A problem with living in Italy though is not everyone speaks English, i got sent to a dietitian who didn't even speak English, we sat trying to have a conversation over google translate - passing the phone back and forth - not very helpful as i'm sure you can imagine. I'm undecided on the pump as my sister has had some complications (going into hospital with dka due to pump failure so it has put me off a bit) but may end up giving it a go. Good luck at the pre-conception clinic! let us know how it goes x

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know where your coming from as I've has the same struggles as you too! There is no motivation better than a baby fir getting your blood sugar under control. I've done it so I know you can. First things first though before you think about conceiving you really need to get a meter sorted and start making your diabetes part of your daily life. I had to go the hospital weekly through both my pregnancies, it's hard work but so worth it.
My first pregnancy was unplanned with a hba1c of 11% the consultant was so unhappy that I'd fallen pregnant with no planning I ended up leaving in tears.
Do you inject? Carb count? What insulin are you on?