Pre Diabetes & Alcohol

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
How is it that Banana is safe for Diabetics again? I could get readings between 11-15 easily on one
banana in the past - and I do know that we are all different hahaha

Carnotaurus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,
I have been diagnosed pre diabetes for a few years now can anyone give me some advice on having a drink (alcohol, coffee & tea etc)
I have also recently started getting pins and needles in my lower forearm and hand. Could this be nerve damage or something, I went for a test for carpul tunnel but hospital said was minor.
Any advice would be good
Cheers
Try here if you want to know which manufacturers disclose carb amounts in beer: http://health.philipcarney.com/post/168989692040/carbohydrates-in-beer

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am now considering dumping the banana and replacing it with a daily pint of beer.
Would it be practical to do this, or would the second and third portions of beer be flat and unappealing by the time you came to drink them? AND, speaking now from personal experience, would it not be harder to stop after one third of a pint of beer than it is to stop after one third of a banana? Only on this forum can one discuss important questions such as this.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Would it be practical to do this, or would the second and third portions of beer be flat and unappealing by the time you came to drink them? AND, speaking now from personal experience, would it not be harder to stop after one third of a pint of beer than it is to stop after one third of a banana? Only on this forum can one discuss important questions such as this.

Two years ago , around six months before my diagnosis of type 2 I made a few gallons of banana wine. This discussion has now Given me a moral quandary. ..... My guess is after 2 years almost all of the sugar and carb will now be alcohol?

Reactions: AloeSvea

djroberts

Both beer and spirits have shown (studies) to increase the chance of type 2 while wine less so. I imagine that correlates to impact when you have type 2.

Beer used to be used for calories, food. A way to preserve when bread would go bad. It has a lot of carbs and calories this liquid bread. Grain spirits do not have as many calories or carbs.