Pre Diabetes Questions

CowboyUp

Hello,

I have tested my A1C in past years and it was always about 5.2 -.5.5. I was prescribed Chlorothalidone, and Lipitor. This year, 13 months after my last test, my number was 6.3 and I was told I have pre diabtes. I had a conversation with my dr about the possibility that the change in number was driven by the diuretic and Lipitor. He added Atenolol to my BP meds and
He agreed to take me off lipitor and retest me in 30 days.

Questions, please.
Has anyone here experienced this? Can it be my prescriptions causing my A1C going up?
Is 30 days enough to see my A1C go down?
By adding Atenolol, will my A1C go up?
Thank you,
CowboyUp

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I can only tell you a little about the statin. Statins are known to raise blood glucose levels and there is said to be a higher risk of developing Type 2 diabetes for those taking them.

With dietary changes you can make a difference to A1c levels in 30 days though 90 days would be a more realistic target in my opinion. Dietary changes will also affect your Cholesterol numbers.

Reactions: Reemap and Prem51

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I have tested my A1C in past years and it was always about 5.2 -.5.5. I was prescribed Chlorothalidone, and Lipitor. This year, 13 months after my last test, my number was 6.3 and I was told I have pre diabtes. I had a conversation with my dr about the possibility that the change in number was driven by the diuretic and Lipitor. He added Atenolol to my BP meds and
He agreed to take me off lipitor and retest me in 30 days.

Questions, please.
Has anyone here experienced this? Can it be my prescriptions causing my A1C going up?
Is 30 days enough to see my A1C go down?
By adding Atenolol, will my A1C go up?
Thank you,
CowboyUp
@CowboyUp the same thing happened to me when I started taking statins. I was diagnosed with an hba1c of 48 and prescribed Pravostatin but, within 6 months it increased to 54. I came off statins due to other side effects and within 6 months my hba1c was down to 43. I now refuse to take statins when offered and a new GP at the practice has now put ‘Statin intolerant’ onto my notes.

Reactions: CowboyUp

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@CowboyUp the same thing happened to me when I started taking statins. I was diagnosed with an hba1c of 48 and prescribed Pravostatin but, within 6 months it increased to 54. I came off statins due to other side effects and within 6 months my hba1c was down to 43. I now refuse to take statins when offered and a new GP at the practice has now put ‘Statin intolerant’ onto my notes.

Interesting that Pravastatin would raise your A1c. Pravastatin and pitavastatin are the only two statins that seem to show either favorable or neutral effects on insulin sensitivity and glucose control in numerous studies.

Here is a nice summary of many studies.

https://www.touchendocrinology.com/...-on-glucose-tolerance-and-incipient-diabetes/

Reactions: CowboyUp
D

Deleted member 308541

Interesting that Pravastatin would raise your A1c. Pravastatin and pitavastatin are the only two statins that seem to show either favorable or neutral effects on insulin sensitivity and glucose control in numerous studies.
I take Rosuvastatin (Crestor), these were prescribed by my cardiologist back in 2014 when I was hospitalised with AFib. I was also diagnosed as full blown T2 around the same time atfer years as a prediabetic.

I have no problems with my hba1c, bgl, readings etc. andI also do not get any aches and pains from them either.

CowboyUp

Great info and thank you to each of you, and thank you for the link Sapien. I've got a lot of learning to do to understand this whole thing and how things work.

Reactions: Prem51

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Here is a nice summary of many studies.

https://www.touchendocrinology.com/...-on-glucose-tolerance-and-incipient-diabetes/
I suppose there’s always an exception to the rule - it wasn’t until I came off them that that we noticed the effect they had had on my blood sugar levels