Pre diabetes with normal HbA1c ?

ragdolly ans

Hi,

I have a regular fasting blood sugar between 6.1- 6.9nmol. My post prandial blood sugar is always around 8nmol. When looking at the UK ranges, these look to be in the pre-diabetes category.

However I have had two HbA1c test and the both come out at 5.0-5.2 which is in the normal range (4.0-6.0)

I've started to get some circulation issues in my legs, pins and needs, increase in veins, Ichy skin.

I'm also waking nightly about 4am feeling wide awake and very palpy as if Ive had too much coffee.

My b12 levels are within the normal range. I also had some thyroid tests and had a slight lower end free t4 but it was within the 'normal range

Any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
waking nightly about 4am feeling wide awake and very palpy as if Ive had too much coffee.

Your fastings are definitely in the pre-diabetic range.
I reckon your showing an strong case of Dawn Phenomenon, google away.
Your liver is dumping glucose from fat stores to help you run away from bears or something.

My advice is to get yourself a CGM, Libre or Dexcom.
You'll have to self fund but it will give you 2 weeks of data & could be an insight to your night time events.

My post prandial blood sugar is always around 8nmol.

Is that a 1 hour or 2 hour reading ?
I'm working on the premise that it could be a 1 hour then your over producing in your 2nd phase insulin response driving you low hence your normal A1c.
Once again a CGM would be invaluable here.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might be worth looking up impaired fasting glucose and impaired glucose tolerance. Two arms of the pre diabetic category. They preceded high hba1c and diagnosis and hopefully are early enough warning you can avoid it altogether if they apply.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It is also possible to have false low hba1c's, especially with aneamia. Can it be you have something like this going on?

ragdolly ans

Hi, my post pranial readings are 2-3 hours after eating. I've been checked for aneamia also and all seems ok.
Does anyone have any recommendations for hiring CGM in the UK?
Thanks for all the advice I appreciate it.

M

Member496333

Hello. HbA1c is a blunt instrument. Too much scope for erroneous measurements and even if accurate only gives you a mean. Time in target actual glucose is a far better metric, but of course most people will not be testing their blood glucose prior to a diagnosis. I’ve said it a million times before and I’ll keep saying it until I’m blue in the face - healthcare providers should be routinely testing insulin for signs of problems.