pre diabetes

shieldsy80

Hi Everyone hope your all having a good day, I'm Paul 38 I was diagnosed on Tuesday with pre diabetes which came as a shock but I realise I'm one of the lucky ones who can hopefully reverse this condition which I am determined to

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Great to see you are a determined person. Yes, you can reverse this with a tweak in your diet and by gathering as much information about diabetes as you can. The best place to start is this forum, so have a good read round and ask as many questions as you wish.

If you don't know what your blood test results were exactly, you need to find out. If you are in England you can ask your surgery if they put test results on-line and how to register for this. You can also give the receptionist a ring and ask for a print out. You are entitled to this. It really is important to know all the levels of your blood sugars, cholesterol (and breakdown), liver and kidney functions. Never accept the words "fine" "normal" or "!OK". See the numbers for yourself as some of them may well be fine now, but heading in the wrong direction, and no-one has told you.

Reactions: Kittycat_7_

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Hopefully you've caught it early and can reverse like many have.
Take care

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @bulkbiker

yes the doctor said 42 an in July it was 43
Well at least they were right there then.. I'm sure you'll have great success in reversal.. loads of us have reduced our figures (both HbA1c and waistline) using a low carb way of eating although if you picture is recently its only the former you need to do!

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
This site is fantastic. I was diagnosed not long ago.
Get yourself a meter and start checking your blood.

I have found things like rice and even crisps are not too bad eaten as a treat in sensible amounts. Yes it does mean I weigh crisps into a bowl. 15 to 20g has a low impact.

Bread and alcohol for me are a real no no. Even a small amount of either (25g)sends my numbers through the roof for some reason.

That is the kind of thing you need to know to make it easier to control.

Reactions: phaedree

shieldsy80

Hello and welcome,

Great to see you are a determined person. Yes, you can reverse this with a tweak in your diet and by gathering as much information about diabetes as you can. The best place to start is this forum, so have a good read round and ask as many questions as you wish.

If you don't know what your blood test results were exactly, you need to find out. If you are in England you can ask your surgery if they put test results on-line and how to register for this. You can also give the receptionist a ring and ask for a print out. You are entitled to this. It really is important to know all the levels of your blood sugars, cholesterol (and breakdown), liver and kidney functions. Never accept the words "fine" "normal" or "!OK". See the numbers for yourself as some of them may well be fine now, but heading in the wrong direction, and no-one has told you.

Hi @Bluetit1802
Thanks for advice, yes i am very determined to reverse this i will contact my doctor and ask for a print out, I couldn't really understand the receptionist at my doctors ( English wasn't to good) and he booked me in to see the nurse in 2 weeks, the doctor rang later on and told me my results, my better half is a nurse an she has told me to go an get a full report of the doctor and we can take it from there.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

shieldsy80

This site is fantastic. I was diagnosed not long ago.
Get yourself a meter and start checking your blood.

I have found things like rice and even crisps are not too bad eaten as a treat in sensible amounts. Yes it does mean I weigh crisps into a bowl. 15 to 20g has a low impact.

Bread and alcohol for me are a real no no. Even a small amount of either (25g)sends my numbers through the roof for some reason.

That is the kind of thing you need to know to make it easier to control.

Hi @Spl@ Thanks for the advice, i'm trying to learn as much as possible about pre diabetes, I'm very determined to reverse this condition, iv had some good advice already and it's good to know there is a community out there who are in the same boat and are willing to share their knowledge and experience.

shieldsy80

Well at least they were right there then.. I'm sure you'll have great success in reversal.. loads of us have reduced our figures (both HbA1c and waistline) using a low carb way of eating although if you picture is recently its only the former you need to do!

Hi @bulkbiker thanks for the advice, I am very determined to reverse this condition, the diagnosis came as a shock to me as the stats have you believe that it's over 40s and over weight people who are at risk of getting diabetes, I'm under 40 an probably under weight ha! my weakness as always been chocolate which I eat way to much of I do eat healthy as well but with me being slim iv been naive thinking I can eat what I want. This has been a wake up call for me.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Hi @bulkbiker thanks for the advice, I am very determined to reverse this condition, the diagnosis came as a shock to me as the stats have you believe that it's over 40s and over weight people who are at risk of getting diabetes, I'm under 40 an probably under weight ha! my weakness as always been chocolate which I eat way to much of I do eat healthy as well but with me being slim iv been naive thinking I can eat what I want. This has been a wake up call for me.

Rule No1.
T2 diabetes is not your fault.

I am the same as you just a little older but eat lots of rice and pasta. Avoided fat etc. Had salad and brown bread for lunch.
I did everything your supposed to by modern thinking save for pizza Fridays but even that in a way is moderation.

Got me just the same. Its a social engineered illness. Once you see how much 'bad' food is out there. Even the literature given to me by my doctors has it wrong.

When you try to explain it they are so utterly brainwashed as you are atm, you may as well tell them you need to breathe underwater. It will sound that ridiculous.
Oh. Brace yourself for the amount of people that mention brown bread/sugar as options.

Reactions: shieldsy80

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@shieldsy80
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: shieldsy80

shieldsy80

@shieldsy80
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.
Hi @daisy1

Thanks for the information, I was just reading this information on someone's post. Have a nice day daisy

shieldsy80

Rule No1.
T2 diabetes is not your fault.

I am the same as you just a little older but eat lots of rice and pasta. Avoided fat etc. Had salad and brown bread for lunch.
I did everything your supposed to by modern thinking save for pizza Fridays but even that in a way is moderation.

Got me just the same. Its a social engineered illness. Once you see how much 'bad' food is out there. Even the literature given to me by my doctors has it wrong.

When you try to explain it they are so utterly brainwashed as you are atm, you may as well tell them you need to breathe underwater. It will sound that ridiculous.
Oh. Brace yourself for the amount of people that mention brown bread/sugar as options.
@spl

Thanks for your opinion, my wife who is a nurse did a lot of research into diabetes when she was a student for a article she had to write, i was her proof reader and She came to the conclusion that the so called experts don't really know what causes diabetes but know that a healthy diet can help with diabetes, This is her theory on diabetes and I'm sure there a lot of people with different opinions, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about diabetes.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@spl

Thanks for your opinion, my wife who is a nurse did a lot of research into diabetes when she was a student for a article she had to write, i was her proof reader and She came to the conclusion that the so called experts don't really know what causes diabetes but know that a healthy diet can help with diabetes, This is her theory on diabetes and I'm sure there a lot of people with different opinions, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about diabetes.

Hi shieldsy, as a matter of interest, can you tell us what your lovely wife considers a healthy diet? I only ask because 'research' tends to come up with a wide variety of 'healthy diets', usually based on the NHS 'eat well' plate. It would be good to know what a bone fide nurse thinks.

shieldsy80

Hi shieldsy, as a matter of interest, can you tell us what your lovely wife considers a healthy diet? I only ask because 'research' tends to come up with a wide variety of 'healthy diets', usually based on the NHS 'eat well' plate. It would be good to know what a bone fide nurse thinks.

Hi @KK123 my wife is no expert on diabetes, this is just her opinion on diabetes she has spoke to doctors on her ward about my diagnosis and explained what my diet is like, they have told her that I should cut down on sugar and drink plenty of water and eat more fruit basically what I already knew. I am new to this I was diagnosed last week so I'm just trying to gather as much information about diabetes, Have a nice day

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @KK123 my wife is no expert on diabetes, this is just her opinion on diabetes she has spoke to doctors on her ward about my diagnosis and explained what my diet is like, they have told her that I should cut down on sugar and drink plenty of water and eat more fruit basically what I already knew. I am new to this I was diagnosed last week so I'm just trying to gather as much information about diabetes, Have a nice day
I just wondered what fruit you are 'eating more of ' as most fruit is notoriously high in sugar? Eating more fruit was one of the things that I did that drove my HB1aC to 125. Of course the whole meal bread, potatoes, pasta and brown rice that I mistakenly based my diet on because I thought they were healthy also made a huge contribution to my stunningly high HB1aC. Removing them has taken my diabetes into remission.

Reactions: Bluetit1802