pre diabetes

shieldsy80

I just wondered what fruit you are 'eating more of ' as most fruit is notoriously high in sugar? Eating more fruit was one of the things that I did that drove my HB1aC to 125. Of course the whole meal bread, potatoes, pasta and brown rice that I mistakenly based my diet on because I thought they were healthy also made a huge contribution to my stunningly high HB1aC. Removing them has taken my diabetes into remission.
Hi @Krystyna23040, I am new to all this I was diagnosed with pre diabetes last week, I'm quite fit I exercise, chocolate has always been my weakness so iv cut all chocolate out my diet, I'm seems to me a lot of information is contradictory, very confusing, I'm just eating more bananas, grapes, oranges, apples and by what your saying I'm probably not helping myself eating more fruit.

Jo123

Hi, I was in your position over 10 years ago, I ran, was slim, I was very shocked.

My best advice would be to buy a meter, test before you eat them two hours after you first mouthful. You will see what effect fruit and other food has on your blood sugar. Record everything. Stick to what doesn't raise your blood sugar more than two points.
I ended up losing too much weight so I eat loads of nuts, olive oil, oily fish. My weight has stabilised now.

Reactions: shieldsy80

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Krystyna23040, I am new to all this I was diagnosed with pre diabetes last week, I'm quite fit I exercise, chocolate has always been my weakness so iv cut all chocolate out my diet, I'm seems to me a lot of information is contradictory, very confusing, I'm just eating more bananas, grapes, oranges, apples and by what your saying I'm probably not helping myself eating more fruit.
Really good advice from @Jo123 to get a meter. You will be able to find out exactly which foods spike your blood sugars. I also agree that eating nuts & olives & oily fish are good foods to eat.

shieldsy80

Hi, I was in your position over 10 years ago, I ran, was slim, I was very shocked.

My best advice would be to buy a meter, test before you eat them two hours after you first mouthful. You will see what effect fruit and other food has on your blood sugar. Record everything. Stick to what doesn't raise your blood sugar more than two points.
I ended up losing too much weight so I eat loads of nuts, olive oil, oily fish. My weight has stabilised now.
Hi @Jo123, Thanks for the advice I'm finding all this a bit confusing there is a lot of information to take in, I'm worried about losing weight (I haven't really got much to lose) I will definitely look into getting a meter as it does make sense to see what i eat does to my levels, I eat oily fish at least once a week as part of my normal diet, I've added nuts and fruit to my diet.

shieldsy80

Really good advice from @Jo123 to get a meter. You will be able to find out exactly which foods spike your blood sugars. I also agree that eating nuts & olives & oily fish are good foods to eat.
Thanks I think @Jo123 has gave me sound advice, it's reassuring knowin there is people who are willing to share there experience and knowledge.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jo123, Thanks for the advice I'm finding all this a bit confusing there is a lot of information to take in, I'm worried about losing weight (I haven't really got much to lose) I will definitely look into getting a meter as it does make sense to see what i eat does to my levels, I eat oily fish at least once a week as part of my normal diet, I've added nuts and fruit to my diet.

Fruit contains a lot of fructose (a sugar). This cannot be digested in the stomach so the liver deals with it. The liver regards it as toxic, a bit like alcohol, and rather than dispose of it, the fructose is converted and stored as fat round the liver. This in turn leads to insulin resistance, which can eventually lead to diabetes. What none of us want or need is a fatty liver. The worst fruits are bananas and grapes. The better ones are strawberries and raspberries, and these ought to be eaten as part of a meal with a full fat yogurt or cream. It is not a wise idea to eat fruit as a snack. An odd apple sometimes may be OK. A meter will tell you.

shieldsy80

Fruit contains a lot of fructose (a sugar). This cannot be digested in the stomach so the liver deals with it. The liver regards it as toxic, a bit like alcohol, and rather than dispose of it, the fructose is converted and stored as fat round the liver. This in turn leads to insulin resistance, which can eventually lead to diabetes. What none of us want or need is a fatty liver. The worst fruits are bananas and grapes. The better ones are strawberries and raspberries, and these ought to be eaten as part of a meal with a full fat yogurt or cream. It is not a wise idea to eat fruit as a snack. An odd apple sometimes may be OK. A meter will tell you.
@Bluetit1802 Thanks, I think I need to educate myself regarding food iv been naive thinking I can eat what I want because I'm slim and exercise, looks like it's caught up with me

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Bluetit1802 Thanks, I think I need to educate myself regarding food iv been naive thinking I can eat what I want because I'm slim and exercise, looks like it's caught up with me

Hi there, it may have 'caught up with you' but that is NOT because you have done anything wrong, you have a body that does not process carbs so well, nothing you could have done about that! Even had you not been slim and active, the principle is the same, none of us would have known in advance that we had a condition such as this. Now you do know, you can alter your diet to suit your condition, as you will see (for most) this starts with fewer carbs. If you try thinking about food as 'how many carbs in this' rather than how much sugar', you will find it easier to see what might suit you. As others have said, all carbs turn to sugar whether they are from a mars bar or an apple! I am not saying that if you only had two choices choose the mars bar of course, apples have other benefits. Basically though, carbs are carbs. It does take a while to get your head around it all and when you get your meter you will be amazed at how certain foods affect your glucose levels. The reason I asked about your wife was because I was interested to know what she was being told by the medical profession, and their 'eat more fruit' is classic advice, fruit is pretty much pure sugar and the banana, apple, grapes etc you eat has probably got the same amount of carbs as a pizza. x

shieldsy80

Hi @KK123 Thanks it is a lot to get my head around a lot of information out there is contradictory, I will definitely get myself a meter so I can see what foods are best for me, Doctors seem to have different opinions on diabetes, my doctor wasn't to helpful he just told me over the phone to eat more fruit an exercise, A couple of doctors my wife spoke to had different advice one said "don't worry he won't get it if he cuts down on sugar" another said " eat plenty of fruit and drink plenty of water and exercise x

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Hi @KK123 Thanks it is a lot to get my head around a lot of information out there is contradictory, I will definitely get myself a meter so I can see what foods are best for me, Doctors seem to have different opinions on diabetes, my doctor wasn't to helpful he just told me over the phone to eat more fruit an exercise, A couple of doctors my wife spoke to had different advice one said "don't worry he won't get it if he cuts down on sugar" another said " eat plenty of fruit and drink plenty of water and exercise x

The good news is you got it early. Your insulin system is not as beaten up as others so the chances of your numbers dropping are good.

As for eating more oily fish? I have a tin of tuna a day for my lunch with some green salad.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm grateful i've caught it early an have the chance to hopefully reverse it.

Your chances will improve if you get a meter and stay on this forum. Most doctors haven't a clue about nutrition and dietary issues - this is not part of their training. "eat more fruit" is a firm favourite when they don't know what else to advise.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have dropped from a Hba1c of 91 at diagnosis by lowering my carbohydrate intake to what my meter shows give normal levels for me.
My Hba1c was at the top end of normal at the last test, ad I'll take that - but I did need to remove foods with sugar, grains and anything starchy such as potatoes, rice, pasta - so I lived on protein and fat mostly, until I saw lower BG levels after eating. I did eat low carb foods - I set a limit of 10 percent - but that does leave lots of variety, even allows for small bowls of frozen berries and cream a couple of times a week - but to advise a diabetic to eat plenty of fruit shows a degree of ignorance which is quite breathtaking when it is from a doctor.
To maintain your weight you should find that eating plenty of meat, fish, cheese, eggs, and other proteins with fats will do it, plus having cream in coffee and on the small portions of fruit as you can tolerate it - then add in low carb veges, salad stuff, with salad dressings - nothing low fat or coated.
I always laugh when I see things advertised as made from things such as 100 percent cod or chicken breast and not mentioning that it is then fitted with a thick layer of solid and cheap carbohydrate to make it look bigger and feel that you've eaten something.

shieldsy80

@Resurgam Thanks for your advice an input, I've been trying to educate myself about diabetes and a lot of information is confusing and contradictory, I was naive when it came to food, From what I've read on this forum The NHS are giving out bad advice, I've been told to eat more fruit drink more water an exercise that's it no other recommendations or advice, I've just started to look at what is in our food and WOW there is no need for all the **** that goes into to most food, Thanks for advice about retaining my weight I haven't got much weight to lose.