Pre Diabetic & Neuropothy

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
Feeling low following being diagnosed with Neuropothy & Pre Diabetic Jan 2018; result reading 44. I am surprised as I have always followed a fairly healthy diet and kept active. I now realise this is nothing to do with my diagnosis. I feel tired and weak and my head is foggy; feelings I have had for as long as I can remember. I have suffered with periods of depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember, and have often felt like I can’t cope. I am trying to build up my motivation to go swimming. I also need to stop smoking.
Feeling fed up and alone x

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry should say diagnosed 2019 and not 2018 x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you read daisy's post in your other thread? It's very useful.
Are you using a glucose meter to check if your tired, weak or foggy feelings coincide with high blood glucose?
And to check if your body can handle your meals meals? (check before eating and 2 hours after first bite. You don't want to see a rise of over 2 mmol/l)
I have always followed a fairly healthy diet
What is a healthy diet for you?

Reactions: Fo

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you read daisy's post in your other thread? It's very useful.
Are you using a glucose meter to check if your tired, weak or foggy feelings coincide with high blood glucose?
And to check if your body can handle your meals meals? (check before eating and 2 hours after first bite. You don't want to see a rise of over 2 mmol/l)

What is a healthy diet for you?
Hello
Yes and I will read it again. It’s a lot to take in.
Yes I need to buy a monitor and strips. I wonder if I may be able to get this on prescription?
My diet up to now has consisted of breakfast; nuts and seeds and yogurt and banana, toast mid morning with butter and marmalade, lunch perhaps bacon or a sandwich, dinner; fish or chicken, salad. Occasional ready meal. Tea with honey, chocolate/sweets.
Having just written that, I realise it wasn’t so healthy! Thank you

Reactions: Antje77

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if I may be able to get this on prescription?
There is very little chance that you will get strips and a meter on prescription unless you are on diabetes medication that can cause hypoglycemia.

The codefree and tee2 meters are popular for self funding forum members as the strips costs are lower than most.

There is a lot of great information on the forum and website about neuropathy and prediabetes.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/search/108971646/?page=4&q=prediabetes+neuropathy&o=relevance

Please see your doctor about support for stopping smoking
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-smoking.html

Reactions: SimonCrox and Fo

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
Yes and I will read it again. It’s a lot to take in.
Yes I need to buy a monitor and strips. I wonder if I may be able to get this on prescription?
My diet up to now has consisted of breakfast; nuts and seeds and yogurt and banana, toast mid morning with butter and marmalade, lunch perhaps bacon or a sandwich, dinner; fish or chicken, salad. Occasional ready meal. Tea with honey, chocolate/sweets.
Having just written that, I realise it wasn’t so healthy! Thank you
All carbs change to glucose in our bodies. Depending on your body, you can handle a bit more or a bit less when diabetic. A meter can help you find out how much your body is willing to cope with.

From your list of foods you eat many high carb stuff: banana, toast, marmelade, sandwich, ready meal, honey, sweets are all high carb. The yoghurt may be.

Nuts and seeds are probably fine, so is the butter, the bacon, whatever was on your sandwich, fish, chicken, sald, tea, and possibly what was in the ready meal without the potatoes/pasta or rice that was in it.

I wouldn't wait to find out if you can get a meter on prescription. Buy one now, the meters are cheap, it's the test strips that cost.

Edit: you'll get there. Read and learn a lot but take your time. Rome wasn't built in a day!

Reactions: briped and Fo

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All carbs change to glucose in our bodies. Depending on your body, you can handle a bit more or a bit less when diabetic. A meter can help you find out how much your body is willing to cope with.

From your list of foods you eat many high carb stuff: banana, toast, marmelade, sandwich, ready meal, honey, sweets are all high carb. The yoghurt may be.

Nuts and seeds are probably fine, so is the butter, the bacon, whatever was on your sandwich, fish, chicken, sald, tea, and possibly what was in the ready meal without the potatoes/pasta or rice that was in it.

I wouldn't wait to find out if you can get a meter on prescription. Buy one now, the meters are cheap, it's the test strips that cost.

Edit: you'll get there. Read and learn a lot but take your time. Rome wasn't built in a day!
Could you please advise me on which one to buy? Is it a standard blood glucose monitor? I am looking online thank you x

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Should I buy this one please? Many thanks Fiona
6BE3308F-5D0E-417D-8A98-0D1006DAE127.jpeg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you'd be better off with the code free, as it has cheaper strips. Let me look it up for you...

Reactions: SimonCrox and Fo

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you'd be better off with the code free, as it has cheaper strips. Let me look it up for you...
I asked in a new thread for you (and tagged you as well), because there's this really useful info pack about meters going around but i can't find it at the moment. I'm almost sure someone will help you out ;)
If not, I'll do a better search for it tomorrow. Sleep well.

Reactions: Fo

Fo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I asked in a new thread for you (and tagged you as well), because there's this really useful info pack about meters going around but i can't find it at the moment. I'm almost sure someone will help you out ;)
If not, I'll do a better search for it tomorrow. Sleep well.
Thank you, your a star sleep well x

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
Feeling low following being diagnosed with Neuropothy & Pre Diabetic Jan 2018; result reading 44. I am surprised as I have always followed a fairly healthy diet and kept active. I now realise this is nothing to do with my diagnosis. I feel tired and weak and my head is foggy; feelings I have had for as long as I can remember. I have suffered with periods of depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember, and have often felt like I can’t cope. I am trying to build up my motivation to go swimming. I also need to stop smoking.
Feeling fed up and alone x

You are not alone. We are all in this together and as such here to help and support each other. Things will get better for you once you get your head around it. Read all you can manage on here. Learn as much as you can. This forum and it's wonderful members are invaluable and will support you through any tough times. Keep your chin up.

Reactions: OrsonKartt