Pre diabetic - new to low carb

nadine68

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I'm all new to this. I followed a link on the diabetes uk email and eventually got to here . Having been told I was pre diabetic last year I have tried various diets to loose the weight. I'm 48 5'5" and nearly 13stone. The weight isn't shifting.
Does anyone have any fool proof tips please?
Where's the best place to go to find out all the info required on eating low carb high fat and does it really work ?
Thanks x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome

There are two links in my signature that should head you in the right direction.

For a gentle intro, click the Low Carb Programme link, for a free 10 week course.
For a faster intro, go to the dietdoctor LC in 60 secs. Then follow your nose around the dietdoctor website.

Both are fantastic resources.

Reactions: nadine68 and Prem51

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi and welcome. Nothing is foolproof but it really does work. Just follow the links Brunneria suggested and that will get you off to a good start.

Reactions: nadine68

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with @Brunneria both of these resources took me on the LCHF route when I read about them on here. Helped me get my diabetes under control (well most of the time). Also have a read of the 'what you've eaten today' thread on here - it shows you what others who follow the same are eating and gives you ideas. Best of luck ;)

Reactions: Salvia and nadine68

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @nadine68 and welcome to the forum. Well done on being proactive on looking to reduce your weight and blood sugars while you are pre-diabetic. A lot of us on here have found that adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCHF) approach to eating has reduced our bs levels and weight.
Have a read round the threads to get an idea of how that works, and ask any questions you want to. The people on here are friendly and supportive.

Last edited:

nadine68

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou for your replies. As with anything new it's so daunting. I'm currently a slimming world member but have found I'm gaining instead of loosing.
I've just subscribed to Diet Doctor so hopefully it's all systems go.
Does anyone log foods on My Fitness Pal ?

Depression

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi....so what is no no on the carb front please....newly pre diabetic at the mo with too much weight..... Thanks in advance

Jo123

Hi I was prediabetic and now get normal bg readings.

My low carb consisted of no grains, pulses, carrots, potatoes, peas, bread, pasta, cakes, sweets, biscuits, chocolate, fruit, only very low carb yoghurt and minimal milk. I may have forgotten to mention a few things I was very very strict. I had to be as I already exercised and had a normal BMI.

I am not so strict now in that I have 90 per cent chocolate, and a few other bits and pieces, but I never forget that diabetes is waiting in the wings!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi....so what is no no on the carb front please....newly pre diabetic at the mo with too much weight..... Thanks in advance
Carbs are the no no.. all of them turn to glucose in your body and cause your blood sugar to rise (very simplistic explanation).
Mine come from green veg, salad, cream and milk. I look at the labelling on products and try to buy less than 5g of carbohydrate per 100g on the label. If it has more than that I avoid it totally. Few raspberries sometimes as a treat.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Depression and welcome to the forum. The worst carbs are the starchy ones which turn to sugar the most quickly in your body - bread, potatoes, pasta and rice. The white ones are worse than the brown/wholemeal ones. It helps to get a blood glucose meter so you can find out which foods afferct you more.
Have a read round the threads and ask anything you want, the people on here are friendly and supportive.

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I was diagnosed diabetic 6 weeks ago when I attended a pre-diabetic programme. I immediately started the low carb high fat approach following alot of the advice listed above. I'm testing my glucose levels daily and learning what food spikes me. I went to me first meeting since diagnosis on 30 September and I've lost 15 1bs. I won't say it's easy, and I know I'm lucky as I love to cook, but it does work, I'm not hungry and the food ideas suggested are lovely.

Goodluck @nadine and @Depression . There are so many inspirational stories around it will lift you and help you on the dark days. :playful:

Reactions: Prem51