Pre employment medical questionnaire

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Looking for some advice please.

I have to fill in a medical questionnaire and take it with me to interview in sealed envelope. OK to declare type 1 and high blood pressure (all controlled well) but its asking me if I give permission for my GP to release my medical records. It is also asking about time off work in the last 12 months. Do I need to declare this? I know that employers aren't supposed to discriminate but...I have suspected early onset MS (waiting for tests) but I was diagnosed with a one off neurological episode last year which I will have to declare. I took some time off work (signed off) for a couple of months, then my fixed contract ended (which I was wanted anyway). Now working in temp role since September 2016.

I suppose I've got no choice, but as I'm going for an office job (council), I don't know why it would need my GP records?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No expert on such matters but I think giving permission to access your medical records will work in your favour, if you decline they might think you have something to hide @Peppergirl.

As for declaring your time off work, I would but would follow-up with an explanation why you needed to take time off.

Just my thoughts...........

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Peppergirl There are rules about what they can ask and advice about how to answer:

https://www.reed.co.uk/career-advice/interviews-questions-you-should-not-be-asked/

You should never lie, but do be aware of how much you need to volunteer. Having been the recipient of questions that aren't supposed to be asked, I'm always careful now.

I usually tick the GP records thing else they'll worry there's a reason why you haven't ticked it. They don't usually look. It's only permission in case they need to follow things up.

Good luck :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi, my company ask for permission to access records but in practice do not unless an issue arises with long term illness. For example we had a colleague with a degenerative disease, periods of sickness became more frequent and extended, eventually work performance suffered, at this point we asked for him to be assessed by a doctor of our choice. Even though we did in theory have access to his records we did not ever do so.
So giving permission does not automatically mean they will rummage around.

Reactions: Struma