pre/post meal readings and spikes

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At 3 hours, 3.8. That's something at least.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I know, but measuring 1hr, 2hr and 2.5 hr is getting (to my thoughts) excessive....

I totally understand wanting to know about reactions to foods etc, but staying under 7.0 is good after any meal...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Before i was actually diagnosed I was testing every 15 minutes from the end of my meal till it came down to near the pre meal level I learned a lot from this. Mainly that I was getting very confused. I still test a lot if I eat something I have not eaten since starting this.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe it wasn't so much the potato as the high octane combo of 2 mangos plus potato in a relatively short time...?

I am reluctant to demonise the divine mango too much, but our bodies learn from past experience, so if you have started to reintroduce higher carb meals (ok, slightly higher), then maybe your body is adjusting. If this is the case, then spreading out these changes might be easier to cope with.

Please note, I had 8 Pringles at 5 pm yesterday, and then had knuckle-biting carb cravings all evening. There was, weirdly, no identifiable impact on my blood glucose, but I still got the cravings. Sigh. So clearly my body reacts to carbs in other ways than just boosting my numbers - and these additional reactions seem to want to affect my eating - a lot!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why are you beating yourself up about a 2 hour reading of 6.9 after eating something you enjoyed? It's only fractionally over what some experts expect of a non-diabetic (6.5) and well under what NICE say is OK for a non-diabetic (7.8). I would be very happy with that. Next time try the Heinz reduced sugar snap pots beans. They taste just the same.

I was delighted last night after a 2 hour peak reading of 7.4 following a meal including jersey potatoes and garden peas.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The mango breakfast is actually less carb laden than my more usual rolled oats, but that's more around the GI and fructose, I reckon. The baked spud same day was all about running out of time to shop, and needing to eat, simply. Whilst we get some Waitrose products here, there are very few "low sugar" variants on the shelves. Next time (and there will be one), I'll moderate the size of my spud. It was somewhat generous.

Anyway, the 6.9? I was more shocked by the number than where it necessarily sits on the normal/diabetic scales, as I haven't had another 6.9, or higher since November. I was only diagnosed in October.

Perfectionism is both a curse and a blessing, but in terms of the bigger picture, life could be so, so much worse. I know I am very fortunate in so many ways.

Reactions: 2 people