Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only look at spikes above 10

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
10???

I've only ever had three readings over ten, aside from my fasting, diagnostic test. One both occasions (3 readings on 2 separate days), I had been on long haul flights, so limited exercise, a couple of G&(slimline)Ts and dubious diabetic meals.

Sometimes I think I'm playing at this game. :pompous:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
yep and I have only had one at 10.5 and that was a piece of birthday cake which is a lot more carbs than I am used to. Sorted it our on the treadmill in 10 mins though. I don't think you are playing it is just that we caught it early enough and have been able to "sort it". I often feel for those less fortunate

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yep and I have only had one at 10.5 and that was a piece of birthday cake which is a lot more carbs than I am used to. Sorted it our on the treadmill in 10 mins though. I don't think you are playing it is just that we caught it early enough and have been able to "sort it". I often feel for those less fortunate

I'd certainly agree I am so grateful I can control this in-aided for the time being. For me, long-term medication would be a much bigger hurdle to accept than the diagnosis itself.

On a complete aside; where do you have your treadmill? I have this image of your children looking round Dad on his treadmill in front of the TV.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I think Andrew has his treadmill generating power for the TV ...

Reactions: 3 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
my treadmill along with the rowing machine and bike (have been given the last two) are in the conservatory. My children are grown up now and my eldest has moved out. I was considering going for a real cycle this morning before breakfast and then the heavens opened.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think Andrew has his treadmill generating power for the TV ...
Do you know I have often wondered if I could hook up a treadmill to my computer so that I have to run to make my characters run in my computer games. All these years and I could have been a top athlete just from playing world of warcraft.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know I have often wondered if I could hook up a treadmill to my computer so that I have to run to make my characters run in my computer games. All these years and I could have been a top athlete just from playing world of warcraft.

Definitely too much time on your hands.........

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't want to go higher than 8 at my highest, and I want to be below 7 at the 2 hr mark.
Ideally I wouldn't fluctuate more than 2 from before to after eating.
My ideal HbA1c would be below 6% in old money.

These are all ideals. Life intrudes. Everyone else's mileage may vary!!!

However, all of the above is because I am convinced by Jenny Ruhl's evidence that being 'in the 5% club' without spike over (from memory) 8ish, is the best way to prevent deterioration and the longterm risk of complication.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Sugar-101-About-Diabetes-ebook/dp/B004Z8RXQW/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1398602298&sr=1-2&keywords=Jenny Ruhl
Am I allowed to post links to a book? If not, please remove - wouldn't want to be guilty of product promotion, although that cycle generator gadget looks spiffy. Only I'd need a bike first...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I agree with keeping rises at any time to under 3mml.. I personally think thats the main cause of problems such as retinopathy etc.

Permanent highs are also problem causers, don't get me wrong... But I do not place all my faith in my hba1c results... Mine also goes on the s/d or standard deviation. If this is below 2.5 I am happy...

A

AnnieC

For my lunch today I had fried tomatoes, egg, tinned mushrooms and a slice of burgen toast with butter. Before lunch my bg was 5.1, after 1 hour it was 5.6 and 2 1/2 hours it was 5.1. I missed the 2 hour test as I was out with the dog but 1 slice of burgen seems OK. I might try 2 next time:)
Sounds like your levels are brilliant don't think you have anything to worry about there

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So your increase was less than 1 unit... So what are you expecting to achieve... One single permanent level?? This is not possible even in a non diabetic..

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So your increase was less than 1 unit... So what are you expecting to achieve... One single permanent level?? This is not possible even in a non diabetic..

I am not expecting to achieve anything - I am seeing what I can and can't eat and trying to stay prediabetic as long as I can

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So what would you do if your bg went up by 2.8mml? Would you for go that food?

I just think personally that you also have to recognise that it is NORMAL for levels to rise after a meal...

To post that your levels remain absolutely at a zero rise or less is going to make others think thats what they have to achieve... And it isn't...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The bigger the starting level the bigger the peak, whether it be a rise of 1, 2, or 3mmol, so maybe we should be concentrating on controlling starting levels before moving on to peaks. My before dinner starting levels average at 5, highest being 5.4 on one occasion. However my starting levels before lunch average 6, highest being 6.2. If I had my dinner at lunch time and my lunch at dinner time there would be a difference in the peaks but the same rise. I think.:confused: I am confusing myself now.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the point of my post was to show that my levels were OK after eating toast. I am trying to find out what is normal and what is not and that is why I am asking questions...

A

AnnieC

I would
I was only testing before a meal and two hours after and read that people were testing more often than that so asked if that is what I should be doing. Would you just test at two hours and not look for a peak?

I personally would not look for peaks I only want to know what my BS is before and 2 hours after a meal and that is usually under 7 so I am happy with that. These are the guidelines
2 hours after meals
(post prandial)
Non-diabetic 4.0 to 5.9 mmol/Lunder 7.8 mmol/L
Type 2 diabetes4 to 7 mmol/Lunder 8.5 mmol/L
Type 1 diabetes 4 to 7 mmol/Lunder 9 mmol/L
Children w/ type 1 diabetes4 to 8 mmol/L

Reactions: 4 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I need to decide what I want, get more confidence and get on with it...