pre-proliferative retinopathy

nreyn89

I have received a letter advising that I now have pre-proliferative retinopathy. I am so scared. Has anyone else been diagnosed with this? Can you slow it down?

Reactions: Miriam12345

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pre-proliferative retinopathy is when some micro aneurisms can be seen in an eye scan. It is a sign that there are some blockages there but it has not got to the point where new blood vessels are being made. New blood vessels tend to be fragile and burst. This is 'proliferative retinopathy' and needs to be treated. I had a few aneurisms for some time, but it was stable. After bringing my blood glucose down, they went away completely. My eye scans are now completely clear.

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have received a letter advising that I now have pre-proliferative retinopathy. I am so scared. Has anyone else been diagnosed with this? Can you slow it down?
I am in the same boat I am 26 it's scary!

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pre-proliferative retinopathy is when some micro aneurisms can be seen. It is a sign that there are some blockages there but it has not got to the point where new blood vessels are being made. New blood vessels tend to be fragile and burst, which is proliferative retinopathy. I had a few aneurisms for some time, but after bringing my blood glucose down, they went away completely.
Wow that's brilliant news thank you so much for sharing! I had the same letter come and I was worried it wouldn't be reversable!

Reactions: MarkMunday

nreyn89

Pre-proliferative retinopathy is when some micro aneurisms can be seen in an eye scan. It is a sign that there are some blockages there but it has not got to the point where new blood vessels are being made. New blood vessels tend to be fragile and burst. This is 'proliferative retinopathy' and needs to be treated. I had a few aneurisms for some time, but it was stable. After bringing my blood glucose down, they went away completely. My eye scans are now completely clear.
Thank you for sharing, that has really helped

Reactions: MarkMunday

Dark Horse

Diabetic retinopathy progresses through stages. Pre-proliferative retinopathy is the stage after background retinopathy but before proliferative retinopathy (the stage at which fragile new vessels grow and can threaten your eyesight if they bleed). Good diabetic control reduces the risk of progression of diabetic retinopathy.

There is some information about the importance of keeping a low HbA1c here:-
http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/prevention/hba1c_and_retinopathy.htm

Other important contributors to retinopathy include:-
Smoking http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/prevention/smoking_and_diabetes.htm
Blood pressure http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/prevention/Diabetes and Blood Pressure.htm

Reactions: nreyn89