Pre proliferative retinopathy

SGillick

Hi everyone I have been told today i have pre-proliferative retinopathy. Last year in 2021 I was told it was only background retinopathy.

I am scared on how it has developed even when my Hba1c has come down. I am struggling mentally and emotionally around this has anyone else been told they have it and if so how do they cope with it and make sure it does not get worst I'm only 28 as well.

Dark Horse

How has your HbA1c changed? Over what period? Remember that having a good HbA1c reduces the risk of progression, as does maintaining good blood pressure control.

Reactions: jjraak

SGillick

How has your HbA1c changed? Over what period? Remember that having a good HbA1c reduces the risk of progression, as does maintaining good blood pressure control.
It has come down over the last few years only last year i was only at stage 1 and in a ayear i am stage 2 i have another screening in three months

Reactions: jjraak

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It has come down over the last few years only last year i was only at stage 1 and in a ayear i am stage 2 i have another screening in three months

Hello and welcome to the forums.

My understanding is that sudden improvements in hba1c can temporarily worsen eye issues, though in the long term improves their outlook.

The medical profession are much much better at dealing with diabetic eye issues than they used to be. The whole point of the screenings is that they catch things while they can still treat them. They have massive quantities of experience on the subject and have developed their expertise on the diabetics that came before you so that you get the best treatment.

Keeping good control of your diabetes should help in the long run. (Speaking as someone who has had on again off again (now mostly on) stage 1 for decades, through bad and now much better hba1cs.)

Lots of virtual hugs. You are not alone.

Dark Horse

The degree of retinopathy you have now is thought to reflect the blood glucose control you had around 3 years ago so please don't be discouraged that your retinopathy appears to be worse despite improving your control. Good blood glucose control from now onwards will reduce the risk of further retinopathy progression. Also, bear in mind that both background retinopathy and pre-proliferative retinopathy have ranges so the difference between the top of the background retinopathy range and the bottom of the pre-proliferative range is very small - it is possible that your retinopathy hasn't chnaged as markedly as you think it has.

It is not unusual for people who have developed pre-proliferative retinopathy to be monitored more frequently for a while until their retinopathy improves with continued good diabetic control. If you did progress so that you needed treatment, the more frequent screenings will pick it up at an earlier stage when treatment is more successful. Modern treatments are very good at preventing sight-loss.

This webpage lists a number of ways in which you can reduce the risk of progression of diabetic retinopathy:-
http://diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/prevention/targetsummary.htm

Reactions: MargaretR