Pre work out snacks??

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone know of any good pre work out snacks to keep your blood sugar from dropping that's healthy and low calorie?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have a banana or some oatcakes if I'm out for a long walk and haven't made adjustments beforehand, don't forget you can use a TBR before exercise to help keep your bg up.

Reactions: 2 people

superdom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being told I can't have this and that
A Snickers and a gulp of Lucozade usually does for me

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
TBR, temporary basal rate, during exercise using an insulin pump basal rates can be adjusted up or down

Reactions: 4 people

Jestred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks brett, most abbreviations I Google but I couldn't find that one.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me the best pre-workout a piece of bread with peanut butter on it. I try to eat about 30-45g of carbs, along with reducing my basal rate down -70% about 2 hours before the gym.

This may not work for everyone, but my workouts its golden. The amount of peanut butter can always be adjusted haha Also i make sure it NOT the 'real pure' peanut butter but the Kraft or off brand stuff that has carbs and sugar in it. I find it raises my sugars slowly and keeps them up very consistently due to how it digests over many hours.

Other wise when i am on the go i just eat a power bar with 20-30g of carbs and reduce my basal rate. When i wasnt on the pump,i would eat a power bar before the workout and sip gatorade during the work out to keep my sugars up throughout (or sometimes break for a second power bar after my cardio portion)

Trying to loose weight at the gym is an uphill battle with T1D, weight loss has to be done in the kitchen by making better choices at all meals consistently. Trying to burn 600 calories at the gym 3 times a week is countered by all the **** you have to eat to keep your sugars up lol So gym to build muscle, diet in the kitchen to loose fat.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't snack before, I either reduce basal by 50% or increase by 50% depending on the activity. I do take emergency glucose stuff just in case.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood glucose doesn't drop during exercise but only in the hours afterwards, so I don't need to eat beforehand. Have you experienced exercise-related hypos which have led to you to need to snack beforehand or are you just guessing/assuming that will be the case? I only mention it because my biggest concern when I was first diagnosed was seeing my BG plummet during a run or gym session, but I soon realised that this never happens and, if anything, I actually see a very small rise. As with Mrs Vimes, I always have my GlucoTabs with me just in case for peace of mind.

Reactions: emmay

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Trying to loose weight at the gym is an uphill battle with T1D, weight loss has to be done in the kitchen by making better choices at all meals consistently. Trying to burn 600 calories at the gym 3 times a week is countered by all the **** you have to eat to keep your sugars up lol So gym to build muscle, diet in the kitchen to loose fat.
With a correct basal dose and ratios you shouldn't need to be eating to keep levels up. I'd start with looking at those than what's in the kitchen....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Totally agree you should not need to eat extra to keep levels raised. You need to adjust your insulin and to change foods you are eating and timings...

JBlaza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, traffic fumes
I find a protein shake made with milk useful as it releases slowly and doesn't sit too heavily. It has the added plus of making me feel less sore the next day so I can exercise more frequently. Afterwards I will have a sachet of porridge, although more expensive I do find them useful for portion control although clearly I could weigh them out as well. This is for an hour long gym session which will probably by 15 minutes of warm up cardio, 35 minutes weights and body weight exercises eg lunges, squats, burpees; then 10 minutes of stretching. I exercise before work and won't eat again until lunch.

Req

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, I am looking to get back into Lifting and start up the gym again. I used to go to the gym at least 4 times a week prior to being diagnosed type 1. Since being diagnosed I have done very little exercise, any tips regarding low carb snacks before a workout?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, I am looking to get back into Lifting and start up the gym again. I used to go to the gym at least 4 times a week prior to being diagnosed type 1. Since being diagnosed I have done very little exercise, any tips regarding low carb snacks before a workout?
Eat the same things you normally would unless you have a specific reason for needing a snack (hypos).

When you're first getting back into the gym your emphasis should be on establishing a daily/weekly routine.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood glucose doesn't drop during exercise but only in the hours afterwards, so I don't need to eat beforehand. Have you experienced exercise-related hypos which have led to you to need to snack beforehand or are you just guessing/assuming that will be the case? I only mention it because my biggest concern when I was first diagnosed was seeing my BG plummet during a run or gym session, but I soon realised that this never happens and, if anything, I actually see a very small rise. As with Mrs Vimes, I always have my GlucoTabs with me just in case for peace of mind.

Sometimes the BG rise is too high.

I like to top up with glucose during exercise because that prevents going too low after the exercise.

Reactions: emmay

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine rises doing HIIT or weights. I've discovered the Cindy WOD. AFTER 4 rounds my sugars shoot up by three. So I either correct with insulin or jump on the bike for cardio to bring it down.
What I'll do next time is take 1.5 units beforehand next time. Live and learn.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like to bolus 3 hours before the start of my badminton game. In that way I still have 30 minutes of NovoRapid into the game which lasts abou 90 minutes.

MarkbUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Finger pricking!
I use a combination of reduced basal rate and additional carbs depending on what I'm doing, 15gm of carbs, without a insulin, in the meal before (normally breakfast) for the gym basal rate 75%, for cycling basal 50% and 30-45 gms carbs per hour whilst on the bike, reduced basal rate applied for 2-6 hours post exercise depending on what it was,

You can work out the carb load and basal rate requirements, for differing exercise types and then make adjustments for your own needs .. "Run sweet" is a good internet resource

Last edited by a moderator:

briantaffy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a non-pump man, I reduce my pre-exercise injection by 50% bolus, plus a simple little carbs snack. A lot of my exercise is cardio; much spinning but on 5% of the actual spinning classes [45 to 60 minutes] time I need to eat 4 dextrose. I feel myself going hypo whilst spinning.
Would Mrs Vimes please expand on her "reduce or increase basal, depending on the type of exercise". Fascinating!