Pre

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @bigladneast Being pre-diabetic doesn't necessarily mean you will eventually become diabetic. You can take action to avoid it.
I wish I had been told when I was pre-diabetic, and what it meant, and had taken action then.
As for the beer, we do call it liquid bread because of the carbs. I was drinking 3-4 pints of bitter almost every night, and eating pub meals in the year before I was diagnosed. Now I drink mainly red wine, though I do have 3-4 pints a couple of times a year when I meet mates in a pub. One night on the beer occasionally shouldn't affect your overall bgs too much

bigladneast

I was sensible when attending the meal it was full day out other lads drinking I do the below

1 shake for breakfast
Dinner Teriyaki Noodles 400 cals
3 pints all day would of been way higher before
Meal on night I had Parma ham and salad to start, the main was steak pie I ate that and the veg left the potato and passed on the desert

bigladneast

Just a bit of update week and half on Newcastle diet I have lost 3lbs visited the nurse and she thinks skipping meals has caused my pre diebeties and suggest to stick to the diet and to revisit her to have my bloods checked again in 3 weeks time

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Added to this got my bs measured in a pharmacy and they said if they averaged my reading out it would translate to 42

Was this a finger prick test at the pharmacy? I do not see how it can be averaged out as it would just be a snapshot of what you were at the time, and that would depend on what and when you last ate/exercised. I really do urge you to buy your own meter and start testing regularly. 3 months is a long time to wait between tests, and goodness knows what can happen in those 3 months. Without a meter you are working blind.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @bigladneast. I hope you don't mind me saying this, but - isn't the Newcastle Diet a bit extreme for prediabetes? I was stunned, both that a doctor suggested it (which is normally a positive in my book) - but for a newly dysfunctional blood glucosed person in the prediabetic range? Goodness gracious!

In my own life with my own friends and family when they are in your position, ie newly diagnosed with blood glucose in the prediabetic range, I suggest 'tweeks' and 'bigger tweeks' if necessary (depending where on the prediabetes scale they are - you are right in the middle). Tweeks in the type of food and drink they are imbibing, not the amount.

It's really tough to go hungry for two months, in my humble opinion. And, it is really tough to lower the amount of sugar and carbs you are eating and drinking too. And the obvious thing is to do the most obvious of those two things first and lower the sugar and carbs. You, as you did adopt a really intense diet - the ND, I think, are perfect to 'just' lower your carbs to a level where you see good results (in your blood glucose on the spot readings, and then later - in your HBA1c).

The good news is everyone in my life who has made even what I see as minor adjustments (ie the amount of sweet things they are eating, sugar in their drinks - that kind of thing) (and yes, alas, that would include the beer - many apologies about that!) has gone back into the non-pre/diabetic range. It works! Without the having to eat teeny tiny meals for two months. (I do speak as someone who knows about that!)

And no - absolutely it isn't a done deal that you will proceed into the diabetic range! Not if you make the adjustments to what you eat and drink. I wouldn't even focus on the weight, actually. Extra weight is a symptom of your insulin resistance and eating too many carbs and sugar for your body, is my understanding. Adjust that, and the weight thing should follow. (I didn't even think you sounded that overweight? But I am WAY out of practice on the 'stones' thing.) But even if you are a seriously big lad - the advice I give my friends and family still stands in relation to you. (I also talk as someone who used to be a big lass, but lowering my carbs and cutting out sugar (I was diagnosed with my blood glucose at a very high level and way in the diabetic range) and upping my physical exercise dealt with that and I have been in the normal weight range, give or take an ND, since.) A little can go a looooong way, when it comes to metabolic health.

Anyway. That's what I think.

bigladneast

The doctor suggested that I lose 2 stone which would be a weight I have never been since teenage years I told her that was impossible as I generally float between 14.6 st and 15 st, hence she said if you can stick the Newcastle diet it will drop the weight off you and also be very effective in lowering your HBCA1.

Tweaks to my diet will be very easy to make as previously I was consuming a very high level of carbs and sugar, I would raid the cupboards, have tea then eat more junk. So I think cutting this out will show the improvement you are suggesting. The doctor agreed and said you don't have to give anything up just in moderation i.e allow myself a takeaway once a week.

In terms of drinking I drink larger but not excessively maybe 1-3 pints a week and probably 3 weekends away with lads a year where it is non stop drinking, she didn't think that was an issue as long I was back on the healthy balanced diet upon my return.

Infact I made her aware I am off away with lads in the middle of the newcastle diet period she said stop the diet for the weekend, enjoy myself like I normally would with pints and food and re-start the diet upon my return.

2 weeks in to the Newcastle diet and it really hasn't been that tough, 1st week I craved a full english, second week I am craving a ham and beetroot sandwich but I feel less bloat and more energetic than previously and I have lost 7lb in weight.

bigladneast

Just an update on progress I went to nurse to get weighed and 3 weeks in to Newcastle diet and I have lost 10 lb

The dibetic nurse was in at the time and disagreed about losing as much as 2 stone, I asked her about a diet afterwards and she simply we ask to cut nothing out.

Small tweaks she recommended still have takeaway once a week still enjoy a drink but eat a balanced diet, she thought Newcastle was extreme for full blown dibetic.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well, if it isn't that tough for you @bigladneast - it makes more sense to continue going for it? Yes indeed. Especially when it seems, keeping to 800 cals a day, to be working well for you. And because you are only in the prediabetic range, you can even take time out for partying, as you say. (And wonderful to have it approved by your doc. What a great doc!)

Good luck with your dieting and health improvements!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just an update on progress I went to nurse to get weighed and 3 weeks in to Newcastle diet and I have lost 10 lb

The dibetic nurse was in at the time and disagreed about losing as much as 2 stone, I asked her about a diet afterwards and she simply we ask to cut nothing out.

Small tweaks she recommended still have takeaway once a week still enjoy a drink but eat a balanced diet, she thought Newcastle was extreme for full blown dibetic.

Just be aware that what is considered a balanced diet 'out there' in conventional medical professionals land usually means way more sugar and carbs than a blood glucose dysregulated body can handle - that's what got us into this position in the first place after all!

I eat a takeaway too once a week - but I have bunless burgers, and take the batter off of fried fish and seafood - that kind of thing. I absolutely don't eat the chips (well, I swipe some off of my family members' plates! Gee they are hard to resist.) I can't drink full-carb beer and don't much like the low-carb ones, so I prefer to drink dry wine, and spirits. But I understand the desire to keep beer in your life. I do in fact know a successful ex-prediabetic who drinks beer - he was able to maintain his normal BG status by cutting out coke and switching to coke zero instead, and cutting out the sweet breads and cakes and so on. Tweeks, as we say - yes, for sure.

Reactions: Julia99

bigladneast

For me it was sweet stuff and snacking pre and post meal I plan to cut these out once of the Newcastle diet. The dibetic nurse when I asked about food choices just laughed and said don’t cut any type of food out just moderate it

I.e one weekend on the beers and high carbs does no damage just cut back a little when back, the fact more people are getting picked up as pre dibetic isn’t because of any change other than they now test for it where 7 year ago they didn’t

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
For me it was sweet stuff and snacking pre and post meal I plan to cut these out once of the Newcastle diet. The dibetic nurse when I asked about food choices just laughed and said don’t cut any type of food out just moderate it

I.e one weekend on the beers and high carbs does no damage just cut back a little when back, the fact more people are getting picked up as pre dibetic isn’t because of any change other than they now test for it where 7 year ago they didn’t

They are testing more now simply because of the rising numbers of people who are overweight/obese and presenting with a need to be tested not just because they fancy testing more people.
I was never overweight so wasn't tested before 2017 and yet I have full blown Type 2 Diabetes so in my opinion everyone should be tested regularly.

bigladneast

I am pretty sure someone said on here that overweight is a cause of diebeties which totally inaccurate.

A lot of things get said on here that differ to medical advice I have been given even to point of pre dibetic buying their own testing kit

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am pretty sure someone said on here that overweight is a cause of diebeties which totally inaccurate.

A lot of things get said on here that differ to medical advice I have been given even to point of pre dibetic buying their own testing kit

I agree. It seems that obesity is a symptom of high insulin production, which in turn leads to insulin resistance, which in turn leads to diabetes. Obesity is not a cause of diabetes, but is a symptom.

Yes, many things said on this forum differs from medical advice .... but there are reasons for this. Medical advice is not always correct. Much medical advice as regards diabetes is wrong and simply does not work.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone well might have said that. This is an online forum mainly used by diabetics and we have differing opinions.
But the general consensus is that having T2 diabetes can lead to weight gain, not the other way round. It's only a minority of overweight people become T2 diabetic, most don't.
There are a whole range of factors that can contribute to becoming T2.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I agree that being overweight is not a cause of diabetes. It's much more complicated than that.

It's been nearly 7 years since I was diagnosed with prediabetes and took the great advice here to buy a meter and test which foods raised my levels. I still test every few days to make sure my blood sugar's are not back to prediabetic levels and stay within normal range. If you are well controlled with prediabetes you get annual hba1c tests. Having a meter means I can keep good control.

Reactions: Guzzler and Prem51

bigladneast

See the diebetic nurse at ours said no don’t buy one your not dibetic and that’s way over the top

Sensible diet don’t cut any foods out

bigladneast

Remember the supersize me film where he ate McDonald’s for 60 days solid he became borderline diebetic, but once he went back to normal diet it disappeared don’t get too wrapped up in doing too much

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Remember the supersize me film where he ate McDonald’s for 60 days solid he became borderline diebetic, but once he went back to normal diet it disappeared don’t get too wrapped up in doing too much

Ask yourself why he stopped doing it, ask yourself if years of weekly take aways and binge drinking with the lads wouldn't have the same effect. Ask yourself how lucky that fella was to be able to reverse the insulin resistance.

bigladneast

Exactly my point everything in moderation if he ate one Maccy ds a week would of it had the same effect, big difference from say cut all out