Pre

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
See the diebetic nurse at ours said no don’t buy one your not dibetic and that’s way over the top

Sensible diet don’t cut any foods out
I disagree with your nurse, a meter used correctly helped me prevent a type 2 diagnosis and lose weight.

Why wait to find out what foods and portions are sensible for your blood sugar control? I don't cut out any food groups and eat a wider range of natural nutrient dense food than before prediabetes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of things get said on here that differ to medical advice I have been given even to point of pre dibetic buying their own testing kit
Simple answer for that is that we've been there and done it unlike most HCP's...

Reactions: Pasha

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Remember the supersize me film where he ate McDonald’s for 60 days solid he became borderline diebetic, but once he went back to normal diet it disappeared don’t get too wrapped up in doing too much
So are you still going to do the Newcastle Diet, which is quite hard core, or are you just going to cut down on the junk food?

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Simple answer for that is that we've been there and done it unlike most HCP's...
The great French writer Marcel Proust, who was virtually crippled by terrible ill-health all his life, wrote that you should only trust a doctor who himself suffers from your ailment. Obviously, this is not the whole truth - a GP who has never had eg chicken pox can perfectly well treat it. And conversely, middle-aged female doctors who must have themselves experienced menopause made a complete hash of helping me with mine. However, it does confirm my enthusiasm for writers Jenny Ruhl (T2) and Dr Bernstein (T1), as well as Dr Ian Lake (T1) Adam Brown of Diatribe (T1) Christel Oerum of Diabetes Strong (T1) Dr Keith Runyan (T1) Maria Muccioli PhD (T1). Sad that there are not more T2s (outside this Forum) offering guidance.

bigladneast

Prem

I have done 3 weeks on Newcastle diet and lost 10lb feel great for it too, I plan to stick on it for 2 more weeks.

Nurse took bloods again yesterday as she convinced they will have dropped, then revert to a normal balance diet minus all the sweet stuff I use to snack on

Reactions: Prem51

bigladneast

Update got blood sugar HBAC1 back from docs it’s now 36 after 3 weeks on Newcastle diet this would include a month of bad diet in too

Reactions: Prem51

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The great French writer Marcel Proust, who was virtually crippled by terrible ill-health all his life, wrote that you should only trust a doctor who himself suffers from your ailment. ..Sad that there are not more T2s (outside this Forum) offering guidance.

Dr Tim Noakes (as in phd doc in sports science), Dr Michael Mosley (medical doctor and journalist and writer, Dr Jay Wortman (medical doctor and doc maker) - to name just three off the top of my head, all have been diagnosed with Type 2, and have reversed it and have gone on to communicate and disseminate meaningful information in various forms :).

Then there is the doco chappie - Lathe Poland in 'Carb Loaded: A culture dying to eat'. Also the Irish sportsman for 'Cereal Killers' docos Donal O Neill.

And the marvellous Ivor Cummins, and Marty Kendall, have both had metabolic dysfunction - I am not sure 'how much' (if one can say that) but they both had dysregulated blood glucose to some extent and have done all the fantastic work that they have from an engineering/science position.

Those just off the top of my head....:)

Reactions: Guzzler

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dr Tim Noakes (as in phd doc in sports science), Dr Michael Mosley (medical doctor and journalist and writer, Dr Jay Wortman (medical doctor and doc maker) - to name just three off the top of my head, all have been diagnosed with Type 2, and have reversed it and have gone on to communicate and disseminate meaningful information in various forms :).

Then there is the doco chappie - Lathe Poland in 'Carb Loaded: A culture dying to eat'. Also the Irish sportsman for 'Cereal Killers' docos Donal O Neill.

And the marvellous Ivor Cummins, and Marty Kendall, have both had metabolic dysfunction - I am not sure 'how much' (if one can say that) but they both had dysregulated blood glucose to some extent and have done all the fantastic work that they have from an engineering/science position.

Those just off the top of my head....:)
Thanks, I'll certainly have a look at those. However the claim "I reversed my diabetes" always arouses my suspicions, to put it mildly. If it means, "Due to lifestyle measures my bg numbers have been going down instead of up" that's credible, but IMO the terminology is (deliberately?) misleading and actually encourages people to entertain false hopes of a complete cure.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks, I'll certainly have a look at those. However the claim "I reversed my diabetes" always arouses my suspicions, to put it mildly. If it means, "Due to lifestyle measures my bg numbers have been going down instead of up" that's credible, but IMO the terminology is (deliberately?) misleading and actually encourages people to entertain false hopes of a complete cure.

Now that is a whole other discussion! :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @bigladneast

Have read this thread with interest!
But your original topic is starting to get lost in other discussions.

Am very interested to hear how it is going? Are you still sticking with the strict diet? It can be so depressing and demoralising when you get conflicting advice, especially when it is the doc and the nurse in your own health care team who are contradicting each other.

So much information available here, and elsewhere, it can start to feel like info overload.

Please give us an update?

Reactions: Alexandra100

bigladneast

Hi

After 3 weeks in the Newcastle diet I had lost 10lb and the diebetic nurse at the practice advise to get another HBCA1 test done as she was convinced my reading would be normal this is 2 month after my first test, my first reading was 44 the second came back 37 back in the normal range.

I have continued with the diet and going to do so until next week then just a normal healthy balance diet I.e I will be bad at times then going to get checked again in 3 month. She was convinced that skipping breakfast is what caused my high reading along with lots of sugary snacks

Reactions: Pipp

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

After 3 weeks in the Newcastle diet I had lost 10lb and the diebetic nurse at the practice advise to get another HBCA1 test done as she was convinced my reading would be normal this is 2 month after my first test, my first reading was 44 the second came back 37 back in the normal range.

I have continued with the diet and going to do so until next week then just a normal healthy balance diet I.e I will be bad at times then going to get checked again in 3 month. She was convinced that skipping breakfast is what caused my high reading along with lots of sugary snacks

Thanks for the update. :)
And well done for sticking to your chosen diet schedule.

The good thing about being prediabetic is that you can often get back to 'normal' and out of prediabetes with less extreme diet changes than if things get as far a full blown type 2. So hopefully you have nipped things in the bud. :D

One thing I will mention though, is that lots of us here on the forum have found that something called Intermittent Fasting is great for helping us to keep and maintain good blood glucose levels. One of the ways that we intermittently fast, is by skipping breakfast. It has certainly helped me. So I respectfully disagree with your nurse on that point. :)

Once again, well done!

Reactions: Prem51 and Pasha

bigladneast

A lot of mine was sweet things and snacks between meals

I am not going to be super strict not going to cut any type of food out then going to get re tested

Reactions: Brunneria

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That's a great HbA1c reduction @bigladneast. Keep your sugar and carb intakes down and you should continue to be in the non-diabetic range.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot of mine was sweet things and snacks between meals

I am not going to be super strict not going to cut any type of food out then going to get re tested
If you can avoid the sweets and snacks you will be on the right road.
Also remember to test blood glucose regularly so that you will know if anything in particular that you eat or drink is causing it to increase. Keep watch on weight, too.
Well done on what you have achieved so far. Good luck!

Reactions: AloeSvea

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
See I asked about carbs etc and diebetic nurse said testing yourself is extreme for pre diebeties just a balanced diet
Right, I understand. You don't want to get too bogged down with it all. Nothing wrong with that as we all have to have our own strategy to deal with our own unique circumstances. If you are not going to test with a meter of your own I hope that you will continue to have support and be monitored by your nurse with HbA1c blood tests at least a couple of times a year. Watching out for any weight regained would be a good idea too. By being vigilant you should be able to avoid problematic blood glucose levels returning.
Well done for your pragmatic approach.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For someone who has already shown that they don't cope well with carbs, a 'balanced diet' is equivalent to being balanced on the edge of a very steep slope. Continuing to eat the normal amount of carbs after a near miss could mean that in a few years you are back in the prediabetes range or even further along the track.Your doctor and nurse have given you some rather unrealistic advice about diet - in my opinion, and also what you can expect in the future.
I have dodged the bullet and from fully diabetic got down to the top end of normal. I know that I need to stick to what many might regard to a very restricted diet - but it is that or high blood glucose. My suspicion is that - having once got to prediabetes - your own carb intake should be less than the usual amount on a daily basis or you will simply drift back into the danger area.

mondFi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I know it is early days but I would like to "stand up" for the "I've reversed my diabetes" and the prospect of a complete cure. After 1 month of <800 calories, real food , low carb diet (as per Dr. Moseley) my blood sugars started responding normally (i.e. fasted and 2hr after meals were within the "normal" ranges). I carried on to lose more weight.

I then experimented with re-introducing carbs as the proper Newcastle diet was never "low carb".

I have, for many months now eaten everything that I used to eat, even to the extent of bingeing and my blood sugars 2 hours after meals are invariably within the normal range (below 7.8). The highest level I have seen was after Naan bread with 12.4 which lasted less than 15 mins and the time over 7.8 was less than an hour.

Even while binge eating and drinking my bloods are normal.

I am not advocating that anyone binges! I allow binges and counter the weight gain with intermittent fasting and watching my calories.

I would expect that if I put back the 3 1/2 stone that I have lost then I would become diabetic again. It is still early days as to whether the liver and pancreatic weight loss caused by the low calorie diets reverses and T2 comes back even if I don't bloat up again so I'm not saying that "I'm cured and everything will be OK" but it does concern me that no-one suggests that it might be possible for some of us lucky ones to effectively "cure" their diabetes at least in the short term. I don't want to raise people's hopes unrealistically but my experience should give hope to newly diagnosed T2's.

If anyone has managed to read this far into this long post could I ask why many people seem to be saying that being obese doesn't cause diabetes? Where is my misunderstanding? I was obese then I got diabetes then I got more obese. Diabetes didn't cause my obesity but it did fuel it. Surely if I hadn't been obese then I wouldn't have developed diabetes? Presumably this wouldn't apply to skinny-fat types but for the fatty-fat types like me...

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Alas, @mondFi, the deranged food came before the deranged cells and receptors and hormone signalling , that is at the seat of metabolic disease and insulin resistance underlying type two diabetes, is my understanding at least. This is why obesity is one of the possible outcomes/symptoms of the derangement and dysregulation, not the cause. Highly possible of course. (I was not a TOFI when I was diagnosed, but a fatty-fat type too.)

Quite simply, too, if it was the case (that obesity is the cause) all T2 diabetics would be obese. And it is quite simply not true.

That is why you are going to have folks like me say - be very very careful about seeing remission as an all-clear to eating the kinds of food again that put you where you were pre ND. (With T2D!) (I made this mistake myself, and sadly for me I just need to look at a corn on the cob or heaven help me - grains - to have my system go haywire again, as a normal-weight fit person.)

See the food (sugar/high-carbs/lectins?/new bad fats) as causing the T2D, yes indeed in relation to 'fat storage pathways', and not the obesity itself, for a better chance at longterm remission/resolution, I say. This is what the 'the food plan you are on after the ND is as important as the ND itself' call to arms is all about.

Reactions: mondFi and Julia99