Prebiotics, vinegar, cinnamon

joaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are separate research trials which indicate improvement in insulin sensitivity from taking either prebiotics, vinegar or cinnamon. Is anyone incorporating these in normal daily intake ?
It's not easy consuming the required quantity of prebiotics (unless you eat a lot of leeks or onions) and supplements are expensive and not widely available.
Cider vinegar is cheap and not unpleasant.
The lowest quantity of cinnamon tested was 1gm/day which is a lot more than you would otherwise sprinkle on food, though it was mooted that a lower dose might also work.
I'm only knowledgeable about type 2 diabetes so this may not apply to type 1.

It seems it would be relatively easy to incorporate all the above in a normal diet. Is anyone trying this ? I don't use a meter so can't measure the effect on myself and metformin masks the true level anyway.

yoda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: Type 2 and cinnamon

YES , Cinnamon definitely works for me .... I have tried it , and take a table spoon full a day , pop it in my mouth , and swill it round with coffee .........Don't breath the powder in though ! lol you could add it to food , probably a better idea, Apparently it mimics insulin .......
I get the cinnamon from Tesco ,( in the spice isle !)the Swartz brand, as its the same as the capsules . good quality! at around £2.50
Holland and Barratt were £16 a pack !!!!
I am on a diet only type 2 .........
Blood glucose levels were better after a few weeks I noticed after taking it .
Turmeric is another spice that may work .....
Good luck

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
take a table spoon full a day , pop it in my mouth

Yikes :)

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I put a quarter stick of cinnamon in the coffee grinder every morning with the coffee beans plus some cardommon pods, no idea if it affects my BG as I was doing this long before I was diagnosed, but tastes really good anyway

anniwoo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
beetroot, Simon Cowell and spiders
Hi I am new here as well, I have started to have cinnamon tea every morning, but have only started this week, will let you know how I get on