Prediabetes Concerns: Tingling and Pain in Fingers and Toes

NostalgicNeg

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

Perhaps someone can help. I have altered my diet and consumer very little in the way of carbs and no refined sugar. I have lost a lot of weight and am very thin. When I consume certain foods, such as apples, I get a tingling sensation in my toes and pain in my extremeties -this could be the ends of fingers or toes. The pain also occurs at other times for no particular reason. It's not excruciating. The tingling is mild. I also appear to get numbness in my right arm. I have eaten three apples in one day and by the third the tingling occurs. Is the pain and tingling a sign of nerve neuropathy?

I am finding the whole situation quite depressing, if I'm to be honest.

Thanks in advance.

• Hug
Reactions: JAT1 and Pipp

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you know your Hba1c, and when was it last checked. If you have access to a blood glucometer, try testing your levels when you get the tingling, i would suspect raised sugar levels. i suffered neuropathy mostly before even being diagnosed as prediabetic. It only reduced once diagnosed type 2, and i cut carbs down significantly to maintain much better blood sugar control. It would appear your sugar regulation may be slightly deteriorated. Either way it is for your doctor to diagnose.
You could try avoiding fruit for a while, and seeing if that reduces the tingling.

Reactions: CWP

CWP

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really interesting to read that, ajbod. I have had neuropathy for 3 years; they did a battery of tests on me when it first started, and found nothing. But I am pretty sure they didn't do an HbA1c or even a fasting glucose.... My recent HBP screen included HbA1c and identified pre diabetes. Perhaps my dietary changes will also sort out this long term irritation....

Reactions: Paul41

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi,

Perhaps someone can help. I have altered my diet and consumer very little in the way of carbs and no refined sugar. I have lost a lot of weight and am very thin. When I consume certain foods, such as apples, I get a tingling sensation in my toes and pain in my extremeties -this could be the ends of fingers or toes. The pain also occurs at other times for no particular reason. It's not excruciating. The tingling is mild. I also appear to get numbness in my right arm. I have eaten three apples in one day and by the third the tingling occurs. Is the pain and tingling a sign of nerve neuropathy?

I am finding the whole situation quite depressing, if I'm to be honest.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The fructose in an apple is something like 57% I think, so quite high for most diabetics as fructose is sugar!
Here's an infographic of the tartness/sweetness of various varieties of apple which might be of use:

apples.jpeg

Reactions: HairySmurf and coby