1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Prediabetes. Expected it to go up?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by johnken, Feb 17, 2020.

1. johnken

johnken · Newbie

Hi everyone,
    Am still experimenting with food and BG meter.
    This morning had muesli 45g, with milk, cream and peanut butter 2 cups of tea. ( no sugar)
    Usual exercises before breakfast, added a very small amount extra.
    BG before breakfast was 5.7
    2 hours and 3 mins later 4.7

Yesterday tested 2 hours after same breakfast and was only up 1 point, tested again about an hour later still rising.
    Dont understand this at all.

Tested again one hour later still only 4.9

Very different result to yesterday with same breakfast . Confused

1.30 new pre lunch test, 6.1 now hesitating about eating my winter veg soup, have already scoffed the cheese to go with it though and had quarter slice of toast, binned the rest
    busy with calculator and book working out carbs in soup

2. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You could eat that breakfast a thousand times and have a thousand different readings (well obviously you wouldnt have a thousand different readings BUT you get my point!)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

"the black box of metabolism" is a law unto itself.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So that's 35gms of carbohydrate.
    If you are getting readings of 4.7 and 4.9 two hours after eating, what's the problem. I would not even describe that as pre-diabetic. Incidentally the two readings aren't so very different.

Diabetes UK say readings should be accurate within 15%, so for the same BG you could have had readings of 4.7 or 4.9 and still be within accuracy required.

Diabetes UK also say up to 7.8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL) 2 hours after eating is normal.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We are all different in how we process carbs, but that breakfast would make my BG rise (most of the time).
    However an almost zero carb breakfast such as Boiled eggs always either makes no difference or else makes my BG drop (if my Dawn Phenomenon has been working).

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook