Prediabetes or not?

Feebo

Hello

I wonder if anyone can offer any advice. I have been feeling poorly for the past year with all the symptoms of diabetes (my brother has Type 2 as did my mother). But over the past month or so, it has become worse. I am up half the night needing to wee, am excessively thirsty, suffer from extreme fatigue, blurry vision at times, any cuts or scratches I get take ages to heal, have had awful itching and now I have dermatitis on my arm and chest! I have never had skin issues in my life. Oops, actually, I have suffered from recurring boils in the groin area (sorry, gross, I know).

So, I went to the doc (who diagnosed the dermatitis) and he sent me for blood tests (thyroid, blood count etc). I had to fast for 12 hours. Got the results, he said I am anaemic with "quite" high cholesterol and my sugars are high, but not worryingly so. Does that make me pre-diabetic? I don't think I had the HbA1c blood test though - my question is, should I go back and ask for that? I asked about the need to constantly urinate, he said it was probably something I just need to live with!!

I bought myself a meter on my brother's advice and have tested myself at all sorts of hours before and after eating. It varies from 8.2 to 5.6 but never any lower or higher. It is generally around the 7 mark. I'm not sure when the best time to test is and whether it is reliable or not.

I am 47, not really overweight, but a bit of a tummy on me. I do smoke, but am otherwise healthy. I really don't want to be the person who is continually at the doc asking for tests, but I am sure I have diabetes and it has not been diagnosed. Or am I completely wrong here? I know the symptoms and I have almost all of them, but am I just being paranoid?

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

spirit 1

Feebo said:
if you are in the slightest doubt go straight to the doctors and get it checked out. they had me pre for five years. as the goal posts were changed by the medical authorities. now i suffer from diabetic retinopathy which is caused by long term diabetes. so dont wait take action NOW.

hallii

From the BG results you mention I would guess that you are not T2.

You would benefit from cutting down a bit on your carb intake and doing a bit of exercise.

You know about smoking, so I won't go on about it, only to say that smoking, raised blood sugar, overweight and high chlorestrol equals heart problems later on.

T2 diabetes sort of sneaks up on you, so whilst you may not be T2 this year things might be different next year unless you take some sort of action now.

If you want to do a DIY GTT it might help you decide one way or another, here is a good description of it

http://www.lifestylecheck.co.uk/article ... hOGTT.html

H