Prediabetes

Juso

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed in early 2016 and my hbc1a results have been 37, 37, 40, 42, 47, 51 and last week 43 after going as low carb as I could. My new diabetic nurse says I am prefiabetic and cut my metformin from 2 tablets to 1. I am rather confused by this, as I have never previously been told I was predisbetic, not even when my results were 40 or under. Is she correct?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you mean you got a diagnosis of type2 with an hba1c of 37 to start with?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @Juso. In the UK an HbA1c of below 42 is non-diabetic, 42-47 is pre-diabetic, and 48 and above is diabetic. Your 51 reading would indicate that you are diabetic, but have generally controlled your condition at pre-diabetic levels by your low carbing and with metfornin.

Last edited:

ALLEYES

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello , iv just joined 5 mins ago , i am looking for some advice please , im getting a bit confused and aggitated with all different medical pros telling me all conflicting results along with that i work with a couple of T2 diabetics
I had recently undergone testing for a kidney donor to help a relative but over 4-6 weeks of bloods i have been told i cannot proceed due to being high risk of diabetes , so i bought a blood glucose meter to keep watch on what happens , this morning my fasting blood was 6.4 now i purposely did not have a bite to eat yesterday from 5pm and all i had was chicken kebabs made on the george , my bloods every morn are always over 6.3 , iv had some scary readings like 12.7 after eating waiting the full 2 hr period , some people say im defo diabetic but my doc says no , however on my health records in my GP surgery it says " Known Diabetic " on the system .......im rather confused by all this can you help with any advice please.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might get a better response if you start a separate thread - but those numbers do seem to indicate diabetes - though eating lean protein is not a good idea. We have all had the fat is bad message hammered into us for so long, but it seems that it is actually carbs, not fat which causes elevated cholesterol, and it is not the death sentence we have been told about either.
Here the diagnosis is done on the Hba1c level - that is a test which ought to have been done on your blood samples. You might be able to quiz the surgery receptionist for the numbers.

Juso

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you mean you got a diagnosis of type2 with an hba1c of 37 to start with?

No, I went to the doctor for a urine sample to be taken, which turned out to be a kidney stone diagnosis, and a subsequent Hbc1a test, given because they found sugar in the urine sample, was a massive 89. However 3 months later, and again 5 months after that , it was 39, not 37 as I said previously, and did not reach 51 until January 2018, two years after diagnosis, and now 43. I have gone down from an initial four metformin was a day to one, and wonder if I am still diabetic or am I now classed as prediabetic?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I went to the doctor for a urine sample to be taken, which turned out to be a kidney stone diagnosis, and a subsequent Hbc1a test, given because they found sugar in the urine sample, was a massive 89. However 3 months later, and again 5 months after that , it was 39, not 37 as I said previously, and did not reach 51 until January 2018, two years after diagnosis, and now 43. I have gone down from an initial four metformin was a day to one, and wonder if I am still diabetic or am I now classed as prediabetic?
Ah, now I understand, thanks :) I guess you're still classed as diabetic, because you had clearly diabetic bg in the past. Now it's not, but I guess that's due to diet and medicine.

Juso

Type of diabetes
Type 2