Prediabetes?

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@mireico there’s a setting for alerts, and you go through and tell it when and how you get alerted that someone has tagged or quoted you (although it doesn’t use those terms). Where you’ll find those settings on your particular device’s view of the site or app is beyond me Good luck!

Reactions: mireico

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @mireico A keto diet is very low carb, 20 gms of carbs or less per day. I don't know much more than that about it as I average 100 - 150 gms of carbs per day.
There is some info here:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ketogenic-diet-101

If you are using a pc you can set your preferences to receive alerts by clicking on your username or avatar, and going to 'Alert Preferences'.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@Prem51 and @Guzzler Thank you so much for the advice and support. So what I understood from you guys were that everyone's body different how we react to certain food that might affect the sugar glucose level after we eat. And the only way to know is to get a meter to measure: first before meal and 2 hours after meal and monitor the differences.
So then for example if my glucose level did not show much of difference after a certain type of starchy consumption, is it safe to conclude that it's ok for me to continue with that particular product in moderation?
And how is this diet compared to keto diet? Is it very similar with different goals?
Also is there any way to check for notification on the replies here, I poked around but still can't figure out how to check for notification when i get a reply from my post. (Sorry I'm new on here).

You're welcome. Personally, I test a meal on three occasions before putting it on a 'safe' list of meals to eat. I will then only test that meal occasionally so as to spot any upwards trends.

There is little difference between LCHF and Keto apart from the number of carbs consumed. LCHF is said to be anything below roughly 130g per day whereas Keto is said to be under roughly 25g per day.

To see your notifications click on the white flag, top right of page and near your avatar picture. Hope this helps as different tech can look a little erm... different.

Reactions: Prem51 and mireico

mireico

@Prem51 and @Guzzler Any suggestion on the glucose meter? I'm looking for something that is more reliable along with affordable test strips in the long run. I've been reading a lot about Keto diet. Is there any benefits or drawbacks for us (diabetics) to be on Keto? More benefits than drawbacks or vice versa? I know that you guys probably not on Keto, but know anyone like us with this experience?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@Prem51 and @Guzzler Any suggestion on the glucose meter? I'm looking for something that is more reliable along with affordable test strips in the long run. I've been reading a lot about Keto diet. Is there any benefits or drawbacks for us (diabetics) to be on Keto? More benefits than drawbacks or vice versa? I know that you guys probably not on Keto, but know anyone like us with this experience?

I think it more important that you find out by testing which level suits you as an individual rather than number hunting. Many people see improvements with 50-60g per day, others find 30-40g per day benefits them. We sometimes use the phrase 'Eat to Your Meter'. You will find a level that suits you, that you are comfortable with and which improves your bg levels whatever that number is.

I personally use the SD Codefree from Home Health but the Tee2 is popular too.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't really comment on Keto as I don't do it. For me the main problem would be preparing food from scratch. I'm not into cooking and usually eat easily prepared stuff. I think the advantage is that Keto does give faster results in lowering bg levels and weight loss.
When I was first diagnosed I was terrified of the possible complications, and by the possibility of having to inject insulin - I have a severe injection phobia. So I went on a quite spartan eating regime, eating just one small meal a day, in the evening. It would be something like a bowl of soup, or a tinned salmon/mayo sandwich, or a couple of hard boiled eggs, or a couple of onion bhajis. I think that would have been a Keto diet.
I was also walking around 15-20,000 steps a day.
I did lose 23 lbs in weight and lowered my HbA1c from 49 to 44 by my 3 month retest, then another 15 lbs and a reduction to an HbA1c of 39 at my 12 month retest.

I have gained weight and my HbA1c has gone up since then, though it's still a bit lower than when I was diagnosed - if you are accessing the forum on a pc you should be able to see my results in my sgnature below my posts.

As to the meter, unless cost is not a problem it's best to use one that has cheaper testing testing strips as that is the biggest ongoing expense. I used to use a an Accuchek Mobile, but each test costs about 40p. I now use a TEE2+ as the test strips are about 15p each.
I think you are in the US so I don't know the cost of meters and testing strips there.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I went on a quite spartan eating regime, eating just one small meal a day, in the evening. It would be something like a bowl of soup, or a tinned salmon/mayo sandwich, or a couple of hard boiled eggs, or a couple of onion bhajis. I think that would have been a Keto diet.
My goodness! You certainly deserved your success. It seems to me that was not only a keto diet but a Newcastle diet.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I
Is there any benefits or drawbacks for us (diabetics) to be on Keto? More benefits than drawbacks or vice versa? I know that you guys probably not on Keto, but know anyone like us with this experience?

I didn't go to keto levels of low carb as I felt that lowering to around 100g was more likely to be a sustainable way of eating for me for life and like you I was 36 when my doctor first mentioned prediabetes. Keto was not very popular in the UK 8 years ago but I don't rule it out in the future if I find I am heading back towards type 2.

I think @derry60 was diagnosed with prediabetes has been eating keto levels for some time now and hope she can chip in with her experiences.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@mireico if you are in US, I started out with Kroger brand stuff simply because the prescription stuff was having an insurance problem and I was leaving town the next morning. The meter kit was not pricy - $25-30?? $7.99??- the lancets are $1.99/100, and the strips $23/100. Not cheap, but I don’t actually know what’s out there yet. I’m just hoping that if the meter is off every time, it’s always off in the same direction, so my “trending downwards” observations are not all wrong!

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic nearly 2 years ago now. The benefits far outweigh any drawbacks for me. The only drawback for me is cooking a different meal for my family, as they do not always want what I eat. This is not much of a problem to me really as I have loved the way that I feel now. I have lost weight, I feel more alert and not so tired. I actually crave my grown only above ground veg lol. I do eat some carrots as I find that they do not cause a spike. Many people have posted on here their BGL's numbers. They are not that high really and I feel that if you act now and follow a low carb or Keto way of eating your numbers will probably come down quite fast. I did not learn how to control my BSL's from my doctor or any medical advisor, nutritionist. I learned every single thing from this Forum. I studied for hours at a time just reading other people's experiences and how they ate and how they lowered their BGL's I went to "The Diet Doctor" website and looked up recipes as suggested from people on here. At first, on finding this site, I thought people were barking mad eating animal fat and full-fat products, but I was totally wrong. I eat around 20 to25 carbs a day and sometimes even less than 20 carbs in a day. I never eat breakfast as I am not hungry at that time of the morning. I do not always have lunch and will sometimes just have one meal in a day. I eat lunch around 3 times a week, maybe 4 rarely. I do find if I go too long without eating my levels are a little higher so I will eat some cheese and a spoonful of double full-fat cream. This brings my levels down a notch. My fasting levels in the morning are typical of 5.7 to 6.00. 2 hours after food my levels are 5.5 or 5.6.. My levels before Christmas used to be after eating around 5.8 to 5.9 but they seem to have come down. I have learned by following a low carb or Keto way of eating I can control my sugars with ease. I do not test as much now because I have got to know what I can eat and what I cannot. I have discovered though that I can eat Morrisons Protein bread at 8 carbs per slice..After eating this, my Blood Sugar is 5.5 I eat it with cheese, just one slice. I eat this as a treat twice a week. Is there any benefits to eating an LCHF diet, you bet ya

mireico

Hello again,

I’m back here now, the past couple of weeks was very busy for me. I apologize that I didn’t have time to follow up with this thread until now, but I’ve read everyone’s responses. And I really appreciate everyone’s time and effort trying to help to answer my questions. I met with “Diabetes Ed” last week, but I wasn’t very impressed with the information they provided. I also brought up something that I learned from the internet forum “Eat to your meters”, but they didn’t even know what that means. From my understanding, they’re more into moderation and portion control, which is not something that I’m focusing on as my diet goals. And for clarification, I’m following the Keto diet, not sure if anyone here familiar or have any experience with it, if so please feel free to share your view and opinion. I’ve been on this diet since I first discovered the AC1 result, which is almost a month now. I lost a few pounds during the process, and feel much better now without the excessive carbs from bread, rice and other starchy foods as before. Well, it’s only been almost a month since I got my previous AC1, which I was told that I need to wait a couple more months before I can get another one drawn. I will report back on the progress once I have the new result, wish me luck!

Reactions: Prem51

Rosie B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic nearly 2 years ago now. The benefits far outweigh any drawbacks for me. The only drawback for me is cooking a different meal for my family, as they do not always want what I eat. This is not much of a problem to me really as I have loved the way that I feel now. I have lost weight, I feel more alert and not so tired. I actually crave my grown only above ground veg lol. I do eat some carrots as I find that they do not cause a spike. Many people have posted on here their BGL's numbers. They are not that high really and I feel that if you act now and follow a low carb or Keto way of eating your numbers will probably come down quite fast. I did not learn how to control my BSL's from my doctor or any medical advisor, nutritionist. I learned every single thing from this Forum. I studied for hours at a time just reading other people's experiences and how they ate and how they lowered their BGL's I went to "The Diet Doctor" website and looked up recipes as suggested from people on here. At first, on finding this site, I thought people were barking mad eating animal fat and full-fat products, but I was totally wrong. I eat around 20 to25 carbs a day and sometimes even less than 20 carbs in a day. I never eat breakfast as I am not hungry at that time of the morning. I do not always have lunch and will sometimes just have one meal in a day. I eat lunch around 3 times a week, maybe 4 rarely. I do find if I go too long without eating my levels are a little higher so I will eat some cheese and a spoonful of double full-fat cream. This brings my levels down a notch. My fasting levels in the morning are typical of 5.7 to 6.00. 2 hours after food my levels are 5.5 or 5.6.. My levels before Christmas used to be after eating around 5.8 to 5.9 but they seem to have come down. I have learned by following a low carb or Keto way of eating I can control my sugars with ease. I do not test as much now because I have got to know what I can eat and what I cannot. I have discovered though that I can eat Morrisons Protein bread at 8 carbs per slice..After eating this, my Blood Sugar is 5.5 I eat it with cheese, just one slice. I eat this as a treat twice a week. Is there any benefits to eating an LCHF diet, you bet ya
Absolutely marvelous. Go You!! You are right about the vast amount of information available on this site. It's super.
It's dreadful in a way that we aren't given more help.
I'm newly diagnosed and I've received little help too. I was told to have two Weetabix for breakfast!! And sandwiches for lunch. Just eat a bit more veg!! It's appalling the information that is given. Even if it's just verbal. Thankful for technology and our ability to research for ourselves.
Keep up the good work...

Reactions: Prem51

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Absolutely marvelous. Go You!! You are right about the vast amount of information available on this site. It's super.
It's dreadful in a way that we aren't given more help.
I'm newly diagnosed and I've received little help too. I was told to have two Weetabix for breakfast!! And sandwiches for lunch. Just eat a bit more veg!! It's appalling the information that is given. Even if it's just verbal. Thankful for technology and our ability to research for ourselves.
Keep up the good work...
Yes, It seem's to be the standard information and the wrong information. I can see things turning around slightly now. Low carb is being talked about in the papers and on TV so it is a start. Trouble is, Vegan may jump to the post and low carb information may get left behind again