Prediabetic and getting worse

Vezzy39

Hi,
I was diagnosed at the beginning of the year with prediabetes. My Hbac1 rose very quickly from 40 to 44. Recently I've been very thirsty with a dry mouth a lot of the time, drinking loads (water), peeing more (dark yellow) and getting headaches.
I had porridge for breakfast made with skimmed milk and a little sweetener and 2 hours later my blood sugars were 10.2. Should I ring my doctor or is this normal for prediabetic?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had porridge for breakfast made with skimmed milk and a little sweetener

Not the greatest thing to start the day with for anyone let alone a pre-diabetic.
Eggs and bacon would have been far more blood glucose friendly.

Reactions: Divia

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Really? I'd read that oats were ok ‍♀️. I'm vegetarian so bacon is out I'm afraid.
Carbs make your blood glucose go up. You already use a meter so you can compare how meals with different amounts of carbs affect your bg. Vegetarian is fine, fried eggs with cheese and mushrooms tastes just as good as with bacon ;)
You might find this informative: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

We also have a vegetarian sub forum if you like to have a look: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/

edit: Oh, and on the oats being ok, I think that's from a point of view where everyone eats sugary cereals. Compared to those, oats are a lot better indeed.

Reactions: Outdoor zen

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Really? I'd read that oats were ok ‍♀️. I'm vegetarian so bacon is out I'm afraid.
Cheese omelette. Eggs cooked anyway you like. Or Google grain free Granola. But have full fat milk. Or at least semi skimmed. The fat helps you to feel full and with few carbs you will need more fat. Also there is a vegetarian thread on this site.
@Rachox makes a coconut porridge, I think with Chia seeds.
Am sure others will have suggestions.