Prediabetic dry mouth for months

ClaireH-P

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have been prediabetic for 5 years following gestational diabetes. For the last month or so I have had an extremely dry mouth. I’m not thirsty though. I’ve contact the Dr and he has given me some saliva lossengers but they aren’t doing anything much. He said it could be I have an autoimmune disease but I just wondered if it was an issue with prediaetes.

Has anyone else got this?

I also have started with peripheral neuropathy but I’m going to post about that in another post.

DanW13

I have been prediabetic for 5 years following gestational diabetes. For the last month or so I have had an extremely dry mouth. I’m not thirsty though. I’ve contact the Dr and he has given me some saliva lossengers but they aren’t doing anything much. He said it could be I have an autoimmune disease but I just wondered if it was an issue with prediaetes.

Has anyone else got this?

I also have started with peripheral neuropathy but I’m going to post about that in another post.
Do you get dry eyes also? There is an auto immune condition that mostly affects females - Sjogrens Syndrome. It maybe this that the GP is alluding to. Think you can get tested for it fairly easily.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sjogrens-syndrome/

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A dry mouth and peripheral neuropathy are both symptoms of high blood sugars. I’m surprised your Dr didn’t suggest an HbA1c. Do you have a blood glucose meter at home, if so you could take a few readings yourself to see if you get any dodgy results

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Before diagnosis I had dry mouth and peripheral neuropathy in both feet and one hand: it was all very much related to high-blood sugars. It may be different in your case of course, but I think it's at least worth looking into your BG levels as a possible cause.

Goldenoldy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interested in this thread. Four or so years back I started with peripheral neuropathy plus a dry mouth at night. This was thought to be related to a lack of B12. I started a three monthly B12 injection. Two year back I was diagnosed as prediabetic. Through the help on here I turned that around in six months of low carb. I only lost about a stone but it made all the difference. However since this Christmas and probably due to the lock down and being more static I’ve gained about seven pounds. It’s amazing the difference just that amount makes to your general sense of well being and getting out of chairs etc! Apparently there is no way back for the Neuropathy but you can check it’s progress. I’m back on strict low carb and hoping it works as effectively as the first time. I never showed very high blood sugar levels, but have often wondered if a meter would help as a reminder. I’m still staggered at the advice initially given by the diabetic nurse which was totally opposite to what I found on here. My own opinion is that if I had followed their advice then I would have progressed into a full type 2 condition. So thanks again for the encouragement found on here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rach612 and JohnSat

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This might not apply to your situation, but I was diagnosed T2 specifically after going to see the doctor regarding a very dry mouth and peripheral neuropathy. It turned out to be related to pre-diabetes and the initial T2 dX was later reversed, but it was certainly due to high sugar levels.

Reactions: Goldenoldy