Prediabetic found out 4 weeks ago,and have question bout fingerprick

Hello every1!!, first everyone,,, I would like to say I have been very happy to find this forum... I really like reading through everything. Also I should mention I live in California, in the u.s.a. LOL but I hope I will be allowed to participate here,,, because I really do like this forum!:):)

So since recently finding out about my h1c and ,,, my blood sugar is a bit High about 4 weeks ago,, but my doctor doesn't have me on any medication right now,,, and is just trying to give me a chance to change up my diet a bit..

I have to say I've made just a few changes here or there and I've had some success over the last month with lowering my blood sugar quite a bit,,,, it might not be at the most perfect ideal numbers,, but it has lowered quite a lot. Which is very good to see..... Most of the day it's fairly normal measurements..... I'm just struggling with the glucose measurement when I first wake up, which I heard is very common for people...

ANyway!, that was just a little background lol ....my Main question is, I am very curious why my finger prick hurts a lot more in my ring finger? It hurts much less in my index or my middle finger ,,,and doesn't hurt much at all. I am using the sides of my fingertips and not in the center. But since I know they like to recommend the ring finger also , I was just curious why my ring finger might be giving me a lot more pain than the other two fingers???. When I used the side of my right ring finger a few days ago it almost made me cry ,,,I felt like it hit some kind of nerve or something . But when I use my index or my middle finger it doesn't hurt at all.. really.......ok,, not that big a deal ,, but I was just curious and thought that would be my first question here...... so thank you so very much and nice to meet everybody! And hello from california!!!!:):)

finzi1966

Hi! Of course you can participate here, we have people from all over, including New Zealand and Australia, even further away!

I can’t answer your question about ring finger I’m afraid except to say, I really don’t think you have to use your ring finger if you don’t want to. I think people recommend it because of it being *less* inconvenient (ie because we don’t use that finger for much else). So I’d say, just don’t use it if you don’t want to - plenty of other fingers to choose from!

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome @Sunsetlover818
I agree with finzi1966, any finger will do, if your ring finger hurts more than others then don't stab it. And the side of the fingers are definitely less painful, not so sensitive as the center of the fingertip

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
This may seem obvious, but your lacing device should have a scale. Experiment so you don't set it on a higher level than is neded to extract a big enough blood sample for your test strips. Most test strips are designed to be placed vertically on the drop and are very good at sucking it upwards, if this applies to yours then make sure you aren't laying the test strip on the blood since this will require more blood.
Also warm hands produce a blood sample easier an hurt less when lanced.