tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
I need some help!

I've been prescribed prednisone for chronic migraines, for a week. 50mg per day.

My doctor has asked me to more than double up all my insulin and adjust as necessary.

Here's her recommendation:
10 U Lantus at night, 10 U Lantus in the am.

1:1.5 Bolus ratio (NovoRapid) 1U for every 1.5 g carbs

I've been floating around 8-12 mmol fasting and between meals, and about 8 mmol after meals. I've been correcting with NovoRapid, for the high in between meal numbers, but an injection every 3 hours is making me crazy.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I was thinking I'd try 15U Lantus at night and in the morning, and what about my bolus? 1:1? Does 30 U of total Lantus seem enough?

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
The increase in Lantus will take around 3 days to have any proper effect so be careful upping it so much so quick.

I've read this before, but my DN says it starts to work with hours. Does increasing a dose take awhile for the body to adjust?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I've read this before, but my DN says it starts to work with hours. Does increasing a dose take awhile for the body to adjust?

Hi @tpaz Sorry to hear about your migraines, that must be hard for you. Basal changes can take 3 days for your body to adjust, that's why you should hang on, obviously the insulin will start to work within hours, but wait for the cause and effect of how any adjustment will impact your levels first before adjusting again.