Pregnancy above 35 years and T1

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

Just wondering if there is anyone with some success stories for T1 women above the age of 35 years when pregnant? I’m sure there are many and I just need to hear something positive!

I’m 34 and have been a type one for 27 years. My last hba1C was 50mmols so reasonably controlled. It was also taken around the time when my thyroid was playing up as well, so hoping it will have improved as it has been lower in the past. I’m aware I need to ensure my TSH is controlled before trying for a baby.

I’ve been on folic acid for a few years now with plans to start trying for a baby, but then Covid hit and it messed with our plans to do a few more big adventures before settling down. We both want a baby but feel like we need another year or two before try. At the same time I’m mindful that there is a greater risk of complications anyway and with time ticking on it’s increasing those risks as well. I’m also mindful that my egg reserve will start to drop and have thought about private testing of this just so I know where I stand with it all really.

My consultant has said that trying sooner rather than later is advisable. I know women tend to have pregnancies later in life now and if it wasn’t for my diabetes I would probably wait a year or two longer, but I worry I’m being silly in risking this for the sake of enjoying our easy going life now!

Any advice or stories would help my worrying mind. Are we be crazy to delay things?
Thank you.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Minnie_19

My circumstances were different to yours as I was 37 and developed gestational diabetes at 23 weeks and was then induced early at 37 weeks, the diabetes went for a couple of years then returned as type 1, I personally feel I was running high BG levels from early on in my pregnancy, I only found out about the gestational diabetes as it was around 22 weeks they finally tested my bloods and discovered it, however I feel I had it alot earlier due to my insatiable appetite and lethargy which i'd just put down to pregnancy. If I was in your shoes i'd go for it, who knows what will happen as my birth plan went out the window, it's a roller coaster but if want a child then why wait, at this point I feel I could get very philosophical, but life doesn't always go to the plan despite our best intentions and waiting for a green light may never actually happen, but if your relationship with your partner is strong then don't wait for an expert to tell you what's right, use your intuition, this is our strongest sense of gauging life's decisions, good luck x

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
It sound like you thought a lot about it. Pregnancy is dangerous even without diabetes, but if you're planing it and having consultation a doctor it'd be okay. If you afraid that egg reserve will start to drop you can do oocyte cryopreservation. I desided that I will not have children because too high risk of heredity, but I have a friend (she is T1 too) who has two children and they're healthy

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @Minnie_19

My circumstances were different to yours as I was 37 and developed gestational diabetes at 23 weeks and was then induced early at 37 weeks, the diabetes went for a couple of years then returned as type 1, I personally feel I was running high BG levels from early on in my pregnancy, I only found out about the gestational diabetes as it was around 22 weeks they finally tested my bloods and discovered it, however I feel I had it alot earlier due to my insatiable appetite and lethargy which i'd just put down to pregnancy. If I was in your shoes i'd go for it, who knows what will happen as my birth plan went out the window, it's a roller coaster but if want a child then why wait, at this point I feel I could get very philosophical, but life doesn't always go to the plan despite our best intentions and waiting for a green light may never actually happen, but if your relationship with your partner is strong then don't wait for an expert to tell you what's right, use your intuition, this is our strongest sense of gauging life's decisions, good luck x
Hello @Minnie_19

Thank you. You are so right, who knows what is round the corner. Think I just need to get over the fear of complications.

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sound like you thought a lot about it. Pregnancy is dangerous even without diabetes, but if you're planing it and having consultation a doctor it'd be okay. If you afraid that egg reserve will start to drop you can do oocyte cryopreservation. I desided that I will not have children because too high risk of heredity, but I have a friend (she is T1 too) who has two children and they're healthy

Hi, yes I certainly have. It’s nice to hear your friend with T1 as well has two healthy children. I know it’s the medics role to ensure we know about the risks but I think sometimes the discussions are always so negative it really doesn’t help!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I have 3 kids and started age 31 with my last being born in 2008 a couple of weeks before my 37th birthday.
Everyone is different but it is true that the longer you leave it past 35 years old the harder it may be to get pregnant. I am not sure what would be accomplished by waiting if your bgs are stable and both of you want this baby.
Type 1 is only weakly hereditary btw and your risk is reckoned to be about 2% rather than 1%...I do have diabetic friends who stuck at 1 baby because it is a high risk pregnancy. That said I enjoyed being pregnant. It seemed miraculous and therefore put up with extra checks and anxiety that can be part of it.
My 3rd pregnancy was hard work but I cannot say that this was due to my age as I also had a 5 year old and a 2.5 year old who didn't sleep much!
Good luck whatever you decide.

Reactions: EllieM

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I have 3 kids and started age 31 with my last being born in 2008 a couple of weeks before my 37th birthday.
Everyone is different but it is true that the longer you leave it past 35 years old the harder it may be to get pregnant. I am not sure what would be accomplished by waiting if your bgs are stable and both of you want this baby.
Type 1 is only weakly hereditary btw and your risk is reckoned to be about 2% rather than 1%...I do have diabetic friends who stuck at 1 baby because it is a high risk pregnancy. That said I enjoyed being pregnant. It seemed miraculous and therefore put up with extra checks and anxiety that can be part of it.
My 3rd pregnancy was hard work but I cannot say that this was due to my age as I also had a 5 year old and a 2.5 year old who didn't sleep much!
Good luck whatever you decide.

Thank you for sharing your story, it’s nice to hear you’ve not had any complications, even though as you say it gets harder as we get older. I’m sure your 3rd pregnancy was more challenging with two under 5 years!

I think the only reason we are/were waiting was because we were hoping to do a little more travelling before we settled down. Unfortunately though because of work commitments it can’t be something we cram in over the next year, more likely two. The initial plan was to get in some big trips that would be more challenging with little ones, but as I said Covid then hit and now we are at the stage where we want children still but also want to do those trips we had planned. Now I’m debating whether leaving it another two years is too much of a risk, let alone also from a fertility point of view. I’d hate to miss out or end up with complications and regret our selfishness. Maybe I’ve answered my own question.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for sharing your story, it’s nice to hear you’ve not had any complications, even though as you say it gets harder as we get older. I’m sure your 3rd pregnancy was more challenging with two under 5 years!

I think the only reason we are/were waiting was because we were hoping to do a little more travelling before we settled down. Unfortunately though because of work commitments it can’t be something we cram in over the next year, more likely two. The initial plan was to get in some big trips that would be more challenging with little ones, but as I said Covid then hit and now we are at the stage where we want children still but also want to do those trips we had planned. Now I’m debating whether leaving it another two years is too much of a risk, let alone also from a fertility point of view. I’d hate to miss out or end up with complications and regret our selfishness. Maybe I’ve answered my own question.
Even if you fell pregnant immediately (not sure why falling is invoked for this situation!) you've got time to get a trip or 2 in but the thing is that all of this lack of control over events is exactly what pregnancy and parenthood plus diabetes is like. Control freaks should not apply! Which is why I'd never judge any woman who decided this kind of adventure was not for her given that far too many people just do it and then resent their loss of freedom and control.

shonagh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Minnie, realise this was a while ago so interested to hear if you've made any decisions, or have gotten one of your trips in :)

I am a 34yo, T1 for 20 years, and I have just found out I am pregnant. Similarly to you, covid did delay our plans to start trying - but only by a year. I was one of those people who thought I would get pregnant straight away but 11 months on I am now relieved to know that I can become pregnant. My concern now is staying pregnant and keeping healthy.

I can only speak for myself and say had I known it would take nearly a year I would have started trying earlier. Saying that - I'm happy to have gotten some extra fun times in beforehand. And Im keeping optimistic about continuing the adventures once the wee one arrives.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Reactions: EllieM

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Minnie, realise this was a while ago so interested to hear if you've made any decisions, or have gotten one of your trips in :)

I am a 34yo, T1 for 20 years, and I have just found out I am pregnant. Similarly to you, covid did delay our plans to start trying - but only by a year. I was one of those people who thought I would get pregnant straight away but 11 months on I am now relieved to know that I can become pregnant. My concern now is staying pregnant and keeping healthy.

I can only speak for myself and say had I known it would take nearly a year I would have started trying earlier. Saying that - I'm happy to have gotten some extra fun times in beforehand. And Im keeping optimistic about continuing the adventures once the wee one arrives.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!
Hi Shonagh,

Thanks for the reply. Lots of things have changed since this post. We decided to try for a family and were incredibly lucky that we fell pregnant within a month of trying, we are now almost 13 weeks.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I’m glad it worked out for you in the end, despite a long wait. I’ve found some of the type 1 pregnancy groups on Facebook a real help and I’ve been very lucky with my diabetic team at the hospital.

Let me know how things go and congratulations again!

Minnie