1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pregnancy and bad feet swelling

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by negi90, Jun 22, 2020.

1. negi90

negi90 Type 1 · Newbie

I am currently 31 weeks pregnant and it seems further along with my pregnancy my feet have retained so much water and are getting worse as they are always swollen and now causing my foot to bruise and create deep lines where my ankles are and foot bends (photo attached). I am keeping it up and making sure it is moisturised as much as I can but it is a worry that even after pregnancy the damage will not really go away. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions? :) JPEG_20200622_221301_7041111285224363814.jpg

2. sninge

sninge Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It can be a sign of preeclampsia, speak to your doctor tomorrow and get your blood pressure checked out just to be safe!

• Like Like x 2
  3. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi I hope you are getting regular checks of your urine and BP? If not please go because this is a sign of pre eclampsia. I wrote my swelling up as just a normal pregnancy thing and landed up in hospital at 34 weeks with pre eclampsia. The condition is more common in first pregnancies or subsequent pregnancies with a different dad and diabetics so do get it checked out pronto.
    My pregnancy had a very happy end who is 17 years old now!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pilzy-89

Pilzy-89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had this, to the point I couldn't go into work because my feet/leg would swell so bad I couldn't bend my foot to brake, even getting up and down stairs was hard. It took a while for them to diagnose, but I had pre eclampsia. Looking back on photos, I had puffy face too but hadn't really noticed it. Take care xx

• Like Like x 1
  5. negi90

negi90 Type 1 · Newbie

Thank you guys for the advice. I went to antenal clinic today and apparently my risk for preclampsia is as low as 3% but they will continue to monitor my bp anyway. Not long to go so guess I will have to bear with it and will be worth it in the end!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook