Pregnancy type 1 diabetic

Hi everyone.
I am 12 weeks pregnant and have been a type 1 diabetic for 12 years. Since finding out about my pregnancy I have been suffering from severe hypos resulting in 3 hospital stays in the past 4 weeks. Just wondering if anyone else has suffered and did it get better?
Thanks!

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone.
I am 12 weeks pregnant and have been a type 1 diabetic for 12 years. Since finding out about my pregnancy I have been suffering from severe hypos resulting in 3 hospital stays in the past 4 weeks. Just wondering if anyone else has suffered and did it get better?
Thanks!

Yes, they're very common in early pregnancy - fierce and very quick. I'm sorry you had to go to hospital. I hope you're ok and didn't have to stay long.

I dealt with the hypos by reducing my basal, reducing some of my meal time ratios, and testing very frequently, including during the night. Although I could go low at any time, I did identify times when I was more prone to them, so that helped a little. I found Lucozade was the only way to treat them as it was the quickest treatment. I kept a bottle everywhere, including by my bed. I also carried snacks with me and had them without a bolus at times when I was fighting dropping sugars.

Yes, it does get better. I found mine eased off around 16 wks approx, and then faded down to the occasional normal low.

Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

Reactions: himtoo