Pregnancy weight gain and increased insulin

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello all,

I just wanted to ask what everyone else's experiences were of weight gain in pregnancy when diabetic. I'm type 1 diabetic and was only diagnosed in February after losing around a stone whilst I diagnosed. I put the stone back in quickly as I started to use insulin. I then fell pregnant and since then I've gained around 19lbs and I'm only 23 weeks pregnant. With my first daughter (I was not diabetic at this time) I only gained 5 lbs in the whole pregnancy because I lost so much in the first 14 weeks due to feeling sick. However this time round I felt sick but had to eat due to hypos etc.

Anyway my insulin needs are increasing from 9units glargine to 12 and from 0.6-0.7 units for 10g now at 1.0-1.3 units per 10g depending on time of day. I'm eating ok, not super healthy but not crazy stuffing my face as I tend not to snack to avoid having to inject. Could the massive weight gain be due to diabetes or am I just kidding myself and need to calorie count?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Catherine4188 No, you don't need to calorie count. It sounds like you're eating perfectly normally and reasonably :)

I gained about 12lbs in my first trimester alone. I didn't worry as I knew I was eating ok.

My basal needs almost quadrupled by the end of pregnancy - which is very normal - and my ratio for my evening meal, for example, went from 1:11g to 1:4g. My consultant said she had one lady who went from 1:10g to 1:1g. So the ratio change is normal too :)

As long as you're eating in a normal way, then your body will put on the weight it needs to. It will drop off very quickly after the birth :)

Concentrate on eating well and don't worry about the weight. X

Reactions: Catherine4188