pregnant with type 1, first baby

aqilahKazhar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi everyone. i am a diabetic type 1 and currently 7weeks5days pregnant. this is my first pregnancy and i dont know what really is happening in me. i am on novorapid and insulatard regime. my HbA1c was 10 and i am very afraid for my baby as the perfect score should be below 6.5%. i am admitted to the ward to monitor and adjust my doses. however, my sugar keep getting high upon waking up in the morning. i didnt eat anything throughout the whole night and i take my carbs accordingly. my doctor also has sent me to see a
dietician although i know carb counting. in the evening i get hypos 2hour post meal. does anyone can suggest to me what should i do? my doctor keep increasing the dose when my sugar is high and lowering the dose when im hypo. i also dont have any symptoms when my sugar is low as at 3.0mmol/L. please help me.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi :)

Congratulations on your pregnancy :) Pregnancy makes it hard to control your blood sugar. Many women find an insulin pump helps. I don't know if that's something that's available for you? It might be worth asking about.

If you're having a hypo two hours after your meal that may suggest your bolus insulin (the fast acting insulin you had just before that meal) is too much for the amount of carbs you ate at that meal. If you go hypo at that same time every day, your insulin may need adjusting then so do speak to,your team. Also, hypos common in early orgnancy so make sure you test lots and have hypo treatments with you at all times.

The high sugar when you wake could be because of your basal insulin (the long acting insulin) or it could be the Dawn Phenomen, when your blood sugar goes high as your body gets ready to wake up. I have that, but my insulin pump stops my blood sugar going high. Do you test in the night to see when it starts to go up?

I understand why you're worried about your HbA1C but I'm sure you can get it lower. There are ladies here who started pregnancy with a high HbA1C but got it down and in the correct range.

Do have a look around the forum and ask any questions you want :)

aqilahKazhar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you very much on your explanation. I did wake up on 3am and my sugar is 6.0, my doctor did increase the night dose but my sugar keep reading high in the morning. Maybe I should dig some more info on the dawn phenomenon. I am from Malaysia and we didn't have insulin pump. However I am glad that we already have aspart and glargine because it is much better than the insulin before. I appreciate your explanation tho. Thanks a lot.

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is some information here:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

As your blood sugar was 6 at 3am, if it was much higher than that when you woke up, that could be the Dawn Phenomen. You could speak to your doctor about it and ask their advice. You may also want to look at the Type 1 forum here to see how other people deal with the Dawn Phenomen without using a pump.

Reactions: 2 people