Pregnant

Rach91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've been planning pregnancy the last 6 months maybe more. I'm now about 3/4 weeks pregnant only found out yesterday so haven't been talking to any of the diabetic team as they're off for the weekend. Sugars have been all over the place esp in the morning. I'm so afraid incase I've done damage to the baby already. Before this my sugars were so good. Please help

misst1mammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First of all congrats Hun I've just found a couple of weeks ago I'm 7 weeks anyway just try your best to keep ur bloods under control but don't stress yourself out about it as when I got pregnant with my fighter my bloods were really out of control and they are now sometimes just try your best and get intouch with ur diabetic team as soon as possible xxx hope everything works out xx

Reactions: Rach91

Rach91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks so much I'm going to ring first thing in the morning when they open. I've been stressing so much I'm afraid incase something happens I've been so looking forward to this for so long. Hope you have a great pregnancy x

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Rach91 Firstly congratulations :)

Please try not to stress, it's not good for you or baby, hormones are a pain with pregnancy as they'll be causing the high levels, but with some support you will regain good control so it really isn't worth stressing, focus on doing what you can and your team will help you. I was diagnosed with gestational when I was around 23 weeks, no idea how long I'd been running high previously as my bloods hadn't been checked previously however was induced at 37 weeks and daughter was healthy, my t1 developed 4 years later. It's very much about doing what you can and trying not to stress, I know it's easier said than done but once your on the radar your team will be there to support you.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, congratulations to you both!

Pregnancy is such a precious - and stressful - time, even for people who don't have other health complications: the single best way to protect your baby and look after yourself (and that BG level) is to consciously decide to only worry about what you know. If you start going down the thousands of rabbit holes that start with "Maybe..?" you're going to end up a ball of nerves and that's not good for either you or the baby.

You've identified a problem, you've planned a timely solution accordingly. That's really all you can do for now: worrying about it further is neither going to bring that BG under control (possibly make it worse - cortisol is NOT your friend), nor help you to relax and enjoy the fact that you're pregnant (!! This is BIG news - take a moment to smile and cry and feel like Mother Earth!).

There is no problem that needs you to panic before it can be fixed. Everything feels so urgent but, trust me (and every other mother out there), you have time enough to take a few deep breaths, get things into perspective and make a plan.

You're (both) going to be fine: you've got this well in hand. Now take some deep breaths (as dumb as it sounds, 5 deep in-and-outs really does calm you down), put your hand on your belly and say to yourself, "I'm going to be fine."

Congratulations and much love to both of you. :)

Sock xx

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
congrats on your pregnancy. try to relax babies are amazingly tough. just try to be as close to your normal bloods as you can get. and speak to the dn when you can.

Reactions: Rach91

Rach91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks so much everyone for the replies I'm trying my best to relax. Can't wait to talk to the diabetic team tomorrow. Super excited xx

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congrats hun!! How exciting

The baby shouldn’t really be affecting your sugar levels yet, I had the same problem at the start of my pregnancy and my team said It shouldn’t affect them.

Are you feeling well? Or stressed?

When I feel pregnant with my 1st son my HBA1c wasn’t great but I quickly gained control and he was absolutely fine
So try not to worry xx

EllieLou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 4 and a half weeks and at the moment I'm needing double the insulin I would normally need! Seeing my team tomorrow

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations, @EllieLou

Don't forget, though, that it's not just the pregnancy - it's the stress and emotions surrounding the pregnancy that your body has to deal with. Cortisol is a powerful hormone (powers your fight or flight response) and its release won't discriminate between "good, exciting news!" and "Terrible, dreadful news!": its job is to prepare you for stress and you'll be releasing it constantly because of your (completely natural) excitement and nervousness.

It's your job to be worried, excited, nervous - it's a magical but busy time. But try not to stress too much and consider some relaxation techniques to keep that cortisol in check and you'll be great.