Prescription charges I am confused

madistheword

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I've just joined as a T2, I am taking metformin. I heard that I get free prescriptions do I get my other NON diabetic meds free too?, I have asthma with a couple of inhalers and also take statins. I've heared both yes and no and the searches on the site the most recent info is from 2017. It a massive fine and the pharmacist wasn't sure either. Help much appreciated.

Reactions: jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You get all prescriptions free if on medication for diabetes - but you do need a certificate from the dr, not just tick the box on the back of the prescription. See the below link for details.

Pretty appalled the pharmacist didn’t know the information

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Yes you get your all your prescriptions free if you are prescribed meds for your diabetes.
People with diabetes who are under 60 have always needed to have a medical exemption certificate to claim free prescriptions.
To get a medical exemption certificate you will need to get a form to apply for the certificate from your doctor’s surgery.
A certificate lasts for five years. Once you are registered for a certificate you should receive a reminder letter a month before it runs out.

goliver374

Hi I've just joined as a T2, I am taking metformin. I heard that I get free prescriptions do I get my other NON diabetic meds free too?, I have asthma with a couple of inhalers and also take statins. I've heared both yes and no and the searches on the site the most recent info is from 2017. It a massive fine and the pharmacist wasn't sure either. Help much appreciated.
Your need to claim medical exemption from your doctors. should not be a problem if you're taking metformin. Then all you meds are free

gyproc1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You get any meds free, but ironically only certain areas get glucose monitors free on prescription. How stupid is that?

Georgehiggins

I got my other medications free

Reactions: micksmixxx

micksmixxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, madistheword.

As others have already stated a NHS Medical Exemption certificate entitles you to claim all NHS prescriptions for free, NOT just the ones related to your diabetes.

The link provided by HSSS provides a link that offers more information, but his/her advice is 'slightly off'. Your GP/doctor does NOT have exemption certificates, but they DO apply for one on your behalf. Each certificate, which now comes in the size of a plastic credit card size, lasts for 5 years. You SHOULD be notified when the expiry date is approaching, but mine has elapsed and I have received no notification. In similar cases you need to get your GP surgery to reapply on your behalf. There is no cost to you for this service.

Like HSSS I'm more than surprised that your pharmacist/chemist wasn't aware that diabetics taking medication(s) should get ALL prescribed medications free of charge. All you SHOULD need do is tick the box on the prescription stating that you are covered by a NHS Medical Exemption certificate.

If you do require medications prior to your exemption certificate arriving and your chemist/pharmacist requires you to pay, ask them for a receipt as you can claim the money back.

Owenn01

Yes; Medical Exemption Certificate which you need to take with you each time you collect the prescription as they can ask to see it. I'd be bankrupt by now if I hadn't had one for all the years I've been T1. After 60 you get everything for free anyway.

I was slightly concerned by your comment that the Pharmacy didn't know if that was the case - they should have the latest info. on that!

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Does the exemption certificate cover nhs dental costs too?
It gives you free prescriptions if you qualify, so if your dentist gave you a prescription for antibiotics for example, you wouldn't have to pay for the drugs.
But it won't cover the charges for any work the dentist does.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your GP/doctor does NOT have exemption certificates, but they DO apply for one on your behalf.
I said you get it from them (as in you need to get the relevant forms via them/ with their assistance) not that they physically held the certificates. Splitting hairs a bit there and not really adding anything to the advice.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another point to note is if you have to pay for a prescription while you‘re waiting for your exemption card to arrive, get a receipt from the pharmacy and they will refund the charge if you present the card and the receipt.

• Agree
Reactions: Lainie71

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I applied for mine about 9 months ago, I had to ask for the form from the pharmacists (my GP surgery doesn't keep them), fill it out then leave it with the Doctor to sign and send off. The card came about a week later.