Prescriptions and supplies – the festive period – Heads Up!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My online prescription ordering screen has a box where you can add a note such as

'ordering a bit early cos going on hol'
or
'dog ate my homework'

So far, they seem quite amenable to things like hols and travel. I went abroad for 6 months a few years ago, and the surgery had no problems issuing enough medication for the whole period, once the situation ws explained, human to human.

The homework comment might be pushing it a bit though.

D

Deleted member 308541

Up you go again, and besure to read the first post.

Do not forget your supplies, and avoid disappointment or whatever if you run out xmas day...\

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
My GP gives one original script plus five repeats, I can get a repeat scripts filled after twenty days, so after a period of time I have built up a extra supply which is rotated out with new stuff.

As for your needles, I would think about buying the extra yourself.
Can't at our pharmacy, which is at the GP practice! Even more frightening when they started rationing strips, let alone getting higher prices for e.g. insulin overseas.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
How are people managing to order early? I can only order 28 days after the last prescription, and have 28 days worth prescribed. Most of my prescriptions I started on the day I got the first prescription so I rarely have any spare, more often run out before the next prescription is ready. My next prescription will be due 26-28th December ish, when I’ll be on holiday, but the system won’t let me order early as it’s not due yet... when I’ve tried a custom order with a note explaining why before it’s been declined.
That's shameful!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
View attachment 29964
Mine looks similar to yours, when I’ve tried using the custom request field below I’ve entered eg accuchek test strips x 200 - ordering early as going on holiday and the prescription hasn’t been issued, and a note has appeared in my record saying drugs declined.
Nye Bevan is surely revolving in his grave?!

D

Deleted member 308541

Another bump for a reminder to get your diabetes supplies before it is to late for the holidays.

Read @DCUKMod first post in this thread.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Trouble is many docs won't prescribe "early" to let people build such a buffer. So people are living script to script.
My e-system tells me when I "should" reorder, which is quite often way after I have to as 100 needles won't last a month even without corrections... So how I'd ever build up 2 months worth of needes is beyond me.
If a doctor does not provide repeats for long-term medication need does that not mean that the doctor is increasing their workload? But maybe it is because repeat customers = steady income. Report the so and so's I say !!!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Some time ago, my surgery tried to organise my items so that they are prescribed on a regular basis, for my convenience.
I pointed out this makes no sense for my prescription as my insulin dose varies according to what I eat and how I exercise, my test strip usage varies according to how often I eat, drive and exercise, and my syringes and cartridges are for back up so I have no clue when I will need them.

I think this put me in the "too difficult" box and as a result, I order my supplies as and when I want. If I go on holiday for a month, I can order supplies within 3 days of each other; when I come home, it may be six to eight weeks before I order again.

I believe any doctor trying to make type 1 medication ordered at a constant frequency, does not understand what they are prescribing and how it will be used.
A parallel perhaps is those taxi services where you say where you need to go to the 'computer' and it repeats back you words, often incorrectly. The quickest thing to do it be difficult and say something like bananas, until they put you through to a live person. Flexibility is key.