preserving beta cell mass with vitamin d and dpp4

There's a very interesting video on this lada site that talks about preserving beta cell mass with vitamin d and drugs that effect incretin hormones. Supposedly, the study being discussed showed a decrease in the titers for GAD autoantibodies! If this is true I wonder why more endocrinologists are not advising us to take vitamin d? does yours?

Reactions: Lawrence73

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There's a very interesting video on this lada site that talks about preserving beta cell mass with vitamin d and drugs that effect incretin hormones. Supposedly, the study being discussed showed a decrease in the titers for GAD autoantibodies! If this is true I wonder why more endocrinologists are not advising us to take vitamin d? does yours?
Yes the endocrinologist I saw advised me to take vitamin D, especially as mine was repeatedly low for no apparent reason. This seems to be common with autoimmune diseases, this is also talked about on thyroid and lupus support forums. I have had 2 endos tell me most people they meet with autoimmune conditions have unexplained low vitamin D but couldn’t tell me if the autoimmune condition caused the deficiency or the deficiency contributed to the autoimmune disease.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
I find this interesting as I take daily Vitamin D supplement for years now following blood test showing a deficiency. It was not as a diabetic treatment but I believe the Vitamin D deficiency is quite common in Australia (who would have guessed with all of our Sunlight)

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Could be down to the "slip,slap,slop" campaign that made everyone afraid of the sun in Oz?
Very true. It was an extremely effective campaign to prevent skin cancers and I have heard that mentioned before

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
If only it were that simple. I had a lower titer of GAD autoantibodies but still deteriorated onto insulin in two years and was left with only trace levels of insulin. I also took high doses of vitamin D over that time. Higher titers of GAD antibodies are linked to other autoimmune conditions. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5107286/

Reactions: clamchowderhead