preventing sugar spikes following rigorous exercise.

lionheart

I posted yesterday on another subject and one response said that i should be aware that vigorous exercise can spike glucose levels afterwards. I work with a personal trainer once a week and do spinning classes twice a week, both i would certainly class as vigorous and neither do i particularly want to give up or tone down. The nurse at my GP surgery told me to eat something substantial about an hour before these sessions to limit the chance of sugar spikes afterwards. Does that sound like good advice and any other advice you can give would be a help. I'm Type 2, newly diagnosed, diet only. Thanks folks.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello lionheart :)

A couple of questions :?:
Do you self test? Have you been able to monitor what happens to your levels by testing before exercising and at intervals afterwards?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Saw the responses to your previous question and they were all good advice. Here is something I previously posted about exercise. It's all a balance really.

In most cases exercise will lower your Bg levels, which may show up several hours after exercising. So, the increase you had might have dropped later.

However, it can also have the opposite effect........raising Bg levels. This sometimes happens when Bg levels are high prior to exercise. It can also happen if you do some very strenuous activity, this can stimulate your liver to 'dump' extra glucose into your bloodstream due to the increase in Adrenaline in your body.

So depending on what you are doing exercise can make Bg levels go up.....or down. It is a balancing act really which by testing at various times you will see what effect different levels of activity have on YOUR body and Bg levels.

The advice to test before, during and also after exercise is good and what you need to do to work out what happens to YOU. Everybody reacts differently as their food intake, timings and conditions can vary so much.

Ken

lionheart

I do self test, but urine not blood (diabetes nurse said that was just as good?). Am going to self test before and after i do my personal training session tonight.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Glucose does not show in urine until you have a blood sugar level of over 12 mmol/L :shock: So for the nurse to say this is just as good is not correct.

You need to test blood glucose to show you how the exercise is affecting you. I suspect you got this answer because urine strips are a lot cheaper than blood strips.

If you do not already have a meter I suggest, as has already been advised, that you get one even if you have to buy it yourself. It is the only way that you can check correctly what your blood sugar levels are.