Prime Minister And Libre

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We
Nice that she can afford it, unlike many other T1s, unless she gets her on prescription, unlike many T1s if they live in the wrong postcode area. Either way privilege pays...
Well I'm not privileged by any means and I self fund by giving up other things that are less important. Anyway the point I was trying to make is that at least by openly wearing one, she is showing approval for the system.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was good to see but you would think as PM she would take more care of her appearance. You can quite clearly see where she had it previously on her right arm in some photographs.

You would also think that as a type 1 she would be able to promote this better and encourage ALL health boards to give the Libre to ALL type 1. She can obviously see the benefits, so pass them down to us mere plebs

Reactions: Jellytots

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I said in another thread I'm surprised she's not got the Blucon stuck on top, I thought it was maybe as she had no pockets on her frock :) but a security guy could carry the phone.

I troll her twitter account frequently about the libre and the need of consistency for its availability on the NHS, and I've got a script for it....

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She can obviously see the benefits, so pass them down to us mere plebs

She's been T1 for around 5 years so maybe she didn't have long enough finger pricking to really get the advantage of it, or then again, would she queer the pitch if she spoke up for it?

Reactions: porl69

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I believe Mr May carries the device and scans her or is that a myth? Wondered if she had a pump and if that was a secruity risk given the ability of someone to deliver a fatal overdose via bluetooth?
Hoepfully FSL are not an imported item and will therefore not get stuck at Dover post Brexit and assuming the oramge one may have scuppered current customs union plans.

Reactions: nannysno1

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was good to see but you would think as PM she would take more care of her appearance. You can quite clearly see where she had it previously on her right arm in some photographs.

You would also think that as a type 1 she would be able to promote this better and encourage ALL health boards to give the Libre to ALL type 1. She can obviously see the benefits, so pass them down to us mere plebs

I can still see where I had my sensors from 3 months ago. She has obviously decided not to cover up this condition or what the treatment leaves behind. Good for her. Whatever the politics of it all (and let’s face it there is a shed load) the more exposure of the technology the better.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I believe Mr May carries the device and scans her or is that a myth? Wondered if she had a pump and if that was a secruity risk given the ability of someone to deliver a fatal overdose via bluetooth?
Hoepfully FSL are not an imported item and will therefore not get stuck at Dover post Brexit and assuming the oramge one may have scuppered current customs union plans.
As I recall, she gave an interview to a diabetes website not long ago and said she injected.

While Libre are made in Oxfordshire, I understand that they are warehoused in France and shipped back.
I can still see where I had my sensors from 3 months ago. She has obviously decided not to cover up this condition or what the treatment leaves behind. Good for her. Whatever the politics of it all (and let’s face it there is a shed load) the more exposure of the technology the better.
Not hiding a mark from a sensor is cool, but you think she’d remove the sticky residue!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I found emailing and ringing my MP to be helpful but didn't use any forms, she took the issue to the CCGs 'accountable officer' and went back to him a few times, but she's an opposition MP, I emailed an MP from another town but from the ruling party with a different CCG but had no reply, and none from him on twitter either (he perhaps blocked me :p)

2/3rds of the country's CCG's now allow its prescription as far as it goes.

Paul.l

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
The Prime minister obviously appreciates the long term benefits of the Libre Capture, what a shame she doesn’t recognise those benefits for the people that elected her, never mind more blindness and amputations equal more benefits. How has she got the nerve to wear clothes that show it off in public.
Come on everyone come to France and all type 1’s and 2’s get a pump and Libre Capture, looking after the future of all diabetics, instead of standing there and shouting that people are diabetic because they are fat! Giving a health service attitude that it’s their fault, lose weight!!

Kennyleonard

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great she is promoting it & bringing it to people attention but it’s a shame she doesn’t think everyone should have access to this system as she voted against making this system available to all on the NHS. All good if you can afford it

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't we criticize MPs who pursue their own agenda? Suppose the minister for culture were to spend his budget providing free opera tickets because he was an opera fan? Publicising the use of a CGM and supporting a bill is all she can reasonably do.

tom58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Come on everyone come to France and all type 1’s and 2’s get a pump and Libre Capture, looking after the future of all diabetics, instead of standing there and shouting that people are diabetic because they are fat! Giving a health service attitude that it’s their fault, lose weight!!

That is completely incorrect. I live in France and as a T1 I know the system here very well. Freestyle Libre has only been available FOC through the CPAM for the last six months and very few diabetics have one. It has to be prescribed by a diabetic consultant and they are quite selective; GPs are not allowed to prescribe it.
Similarly with pumps. Diabetics are selected to be supplied with a pump on a fairly strict basis, which usually involves a stay in hospital for instruction and evaluation. Again, only a consultant can make this choice.
Happily I have been allowed both but I count myself extremely privileged and lucky because it's far, far from the norm.

Reactions: Notorious

Paul.l

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump

That is completely incorrect. I live in France and as a T1 I know the system here very well. Freestyle Libre has only been available FOC through the CPAM for the last six months and very few diabetics have one. It has to be prescribed by a diabetic consultant and they are quite selective; GPs are not allowed to prescribe it.
Similarly with pumps. Diabetics are selected to be supplied with a pump on a fairly strict basis, which usually involves a stay in hospital for instruction and evaluation. Again, only a consultant can make this choice.
Happily I have been allowed both but I count myself extremely privileged and lucky because it's far, far from the norm.

Well of course they can only be prescribed by a diabetic consultant, of course you need to give time (for me 3 days) to learn how to use the pump especially, I even attended a half day course for the Capture. Now I have a nurse from Nestle Diabetes every 6 month, she also supplies the pump supplies. If I moved back to the UK I would lose my pump and Capture and go back to 6 injections and 7 fingerpricks a day! In my area my consultant certainly isn’t selective, believing no one should have to suffer so many injections and technology should be used to lower insulin consumption and improve management of blood sugars, better management & control leads to better health thus saving health systems money in the future.

Britishbob

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As I recall, she gave an interview to a diabetes website not long ago and said she injected.

While Libre are made in Oxfordshire, I understand that they are warehoused in France and shipped back.

Not hiding a mark from a sensor is cool, but you think she’d remove the sticky residue!
Nice summary on the trip of a sensor - they also go to Ireland for assembly