Private Endocrinologist - In need of advice

MollieB

Definitely have them check your thyroid levels. I will say that sometimes, for reasons unknown, some people really struggle with weight. I eat an excellent diet and exercise and I have to fight HARD to maintain my weight. I'm still about 15 pounds more than I want to be. I do know that there is something to be said for adequate sleep and weight loss. You could have irregular sleep pattern or sleep apnea and not know it. There is also something to be said for not eating late at night either (not that you do). (Just some thoughts though these aren't Endo things). You seem to be female (?) so you can also ask him to evaluate you for PCOS or polycystic ovarian disease (or syndrome). I don't know if you have other clinical signs of it our not but insulin resistance and being overweight are two common signs. I live in the States so I don't know if your Endos do PCOS or if that is a GYN or both. ???? The Endo can check your cortisol level for you. You are right, it could be elevated due to stress. If it is related to stress there isn't likely anything they would do medically since increased production of cortisol is natural to stress.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would ask them for the clinical documentation to support their theory that type 2 diabetes CAUSES hypothyroidism. If anything, studies suggests that hypothyroidism increases the risk of type 2 diabetes. (Though the how is unknown).

That isn't their argument. At the time of the initial enquiry to claim, this was only to investigate symptoms, as I am atypical - thyroid tests, a that stage, "in range", although sub-optimal, not carrying or gaining weight, sleeping OK, no overwhelming fatigue, no discernible brain for - just cold.

It's an ongoing discussion and I have all my bills, but policy wordings are, as you would suspect. Protective for the insurers. We'll see where we end up.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with a failed thyroid many years ago long before diabetes was diagnosed, and I can still remember the feeling of warmth, particularly in my hands and feet, after about three days on a low dose of Thyroxine. As a teenager I had always been susceptible to heat, that went away and I was rather glad to be honest, particularly as I moved to the South Coast. Feeling cold when temperatures are fine is a symptom of low thyroid.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ketointheuk and apologies haven’t been online much the past couple of days so just catching up.

Nothing to add to the excellent suggestions above - second the opinion that having your thyroid and vitamins checked out would be a good idea. Very interested to hear how you get on.

Reactions: Grannypat

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ketointheuk - I will just add something I feel positive you'd be all over anyway, and that's is, please don't accept responses like "fine" or "looks OK" when talking of blood and other test results. One mans OK is another's not so OK.

UK's diagnostic thresholds for thyroid irregularities is very lax, by comparison to other places - just as an example.