Private Hba1c test?

nmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a private HBA1c test done when I was on a three month stint in Bangkok recently. I went to Samitivej hospital, saw a consultant Endo and told her I want a thyroid, B21 level, HBA1C and a test to look for the antibody which can show an onset ofType 1.

They don't do the antibody test in Thailand - it's not on some list of approved procedures but they did the rest. Total cost including the consultants fee : £60, results by email the next day.

I'll shop there again, pretty cheap, luxury surroundings, top class place. It emailed them to make an appointment which was arranged fot two days after my initial contact. So no waiting around either.

nmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For cheaper strips check a company called 'value med uk' - they come top in a google search for 'value med uk'. They sell 'on call' test strips and meters. Strips cost £10 for 50 ! Yes 50, much cheaper than most others. I buy them 500 a time every few months.

General

Hi

I am a GP.

Listening to patients and reading your comments, I have to say that it is unfortunate but we have limited resources.
To be frank the NHS is running out of steam and a point will come when the cuts we are having to make will no longer be clinically safe. When that day comes - it will be the death knell of the NHS.
By rationing test strips - which on average cost £15/50strips to the NHS, it does not compromise health but is not the best way. Unfortunately we have to ration the dwindling funding we get, otherwise patients will be paying for all the medicines they have to take and diabetics will be the ones who suffer the most.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
But how much would the nhs save if people were able to test regular and reduce complications. Type 1 myself and fortunate I am able top get test strips without problems, 300 at a time. If these were halved or stopped I would be unable to drive as per dvla rules and probably have erratic sugars constantly as I would not be able to test, adjust, learn accordingly. Things change very quick for me I have noticed every so often I need to adjust basal,qa ratios, be it weather,excercise,stress,illness, etc. how many type 2s are refused strips or given an amount that is no use at all. if they could test regular surely they would learn what to do, Also, where is the proffesional support for people who feel alone and slightly alienated. Surely prevention of complications would be more cost effective than treatment, curing of them.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I totally agree Brett but unfortunately, no Gov't takes long term views. They look as far as the next election generally. They will continue to cut the NHS to the bone, not worrying at all about possible diabetic complications in 10 or 15 years time. I think in the next few years, all diabetics will have strips rationed and a standard meter will be provided. Not saying I agree with it, I just have a bad feeling. All the bad press in the media about diabetics and lifestyle etc makes Joe Public have little to no sympathy for rationing of our supplies. I hope I'm wrong.

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
General said:
Hi

I am a GP.

Listening to patients and reading your comments, I have to say that it is unfortunate but we have limited resources.
To be frank the NHS is running out of steam and a point will come when the cuts we are having to make will no longer be clinically safe. When that day comes - it will be the death knell of the NHS.
By rationing test strips - which on average cost £15/50strips to the NHS, it does not compromise health but is not the best way. Unfortunately we have to ration the dwindling funding we get, otherwise patients will be paying for all the medicines they have to take and diabetics will be the ones who suffer the most.

£15?! I pay £6.99 for 50. No wonder the NHS is running out of money.

sandyck1

I have been searching to see if it is possible to influence the hba1c test. I am due an op for bariatric surgery in nov/dec and have recently found out that if my test is above 67, my op will have to be postponed until I get my average result down. I might add that my hba1c was at 54 until the doc meddled with my meds.

When my daily bg went through the roof he apologised saying he didn't know how I would react to the change in meds?!
I'll explain... I was taking 2000mg sr metformin per day, leaving me controlled at 54. He decided to half my dose and give me 5mg of forxiga. All that did was send my bloods through the roof, into their 20s and give me thrush for 3 months. And a hba1c of 63!

Anyway background over!... Lol. To try to influence my hba1c for my test that is due he has put my metformin back to 2000mg and taken away forxiga and also introduced 40mg of gliclazide - my daily bloods have reduced, going from 16/17/18mmol/L down to 6/7/8mmol/L in a week!
I have my test in 10 days so based on this info I am hoping my results are good x [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES] .........

Taken from NSGP.ORG...
Many studies have shown that HbA1c is an index of average glucose (AG) over the preceding weeks-to-months. Erythrocyte (red blood cell) life-span averages about 120 days. The level of HbA1c at any point in time is contributed to by all circulating erythrocytes, from the oldest (120 days old) to the youngest. However, HbA1c is a "weighted" average of blood glucose levels during the preceding 120 days, meaning that glucose levels in the preceding 30 days contribute substantially more to the level of HbA1c than do glucose levels 90-120 days earlier. This explains why the level of HbA1c can increase or decrease relatively quickly with large changes in glucose; it does not take 120 days to detect a clinically meaningful change in HbA1c following a clinically significant change in AG.