Private health care for t1

Maidz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Just wondered if anyone out there has private health care (uk) and If so how does it work.

I have been after a pump now for about 2 years and my consultant keeps changing my insulin etc even tho I have made it clear I want a pump. Please help. On the verge of giving up x

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi all

Just wondered if anyone out there has private health care (uk) and If so how does it work.

I have been after a pump now for about 2 years and my consultant keeps changing my insulin etc even tho I have made it clear I want a pump. Please help. On the verge of giving up x
I've investigated this through my work Healthcare plan. It isn't straightforward.

Firstly, you need a consultant to say that you need a pump. Then you need to convince your healthcare plan that they should provide one because the CCG won't fund one. When I spoke to the representatives of mine, they were very clear in saying that it would be very hard to get the funding through private healthcare.

Due to the way our UK health model works, it's worth trying, but it's very hard to make work. The best bet is to give your provider a call, but it won't be that easy.

Reactions: 2 people

Maidz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your advice Tim. I'm probably better sticking with my NHS consultant and hope that he eventually gives me a pump x