Privatising GPs has started

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
But they have been around for ages anyway.. When I worked in the City there were places called "Medicentre" where you could go and see a GP almost immediately and of course pay for the privilege. They were ok and I used them a few times. There was even one at Victoria Station for commuters. I think it was about £75.00 for a consultation. They are in fact still going now. At the time I could afford it and it was more convenient than time off from work to see my local GP.

Interesting... Can I ask how long was an appointment for? if you needed medication did you have to pay privately for it?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If this is being rolled out nationwide, would you consider paying for an appointment with GP to discuss your diabetes for example?

No as there's no need to if you can see the Dr through the NHS?

I wouldn't read too much into it @donnelysdogs

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting... Can I ask how long was an appointment for? if you needed medication did you have to pay privately for it?
I thin kit was bout 15 minutes.. and yes prescriptions were all filled privately full cost at the chemist.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
.. Most of GPs at two of my recent practices only worked 6 sessions (3 days) do I guess they would have 2 free days (if going on the average hours a working person is targeted to work-40-42hrs??). My last two practices only talk about sessions that GPs work. Ie my current GP works 6 sessions (all day Mon, Weds Fri).

I have never actually had any GP that is listed as working 10 seasions.

I'm not sure the 6 sessions represents all their work. Isn't this just their surgery time? Certainly at my practice they do other work in addition to the surgery sessions. They also run the local community hospital where they are responsible for the in-patients on a daily basis who they visit and look after, not to mention call outs to the nursing homes, plus they have a lot of admin work, training sessions, and duties in the minor injuries treatment room (including minor ops). Probably other things too.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know at my practice, some of the Partners have other interests as we as their work in NHS Practice. One lectured, until recently, at our the Uni and is the company Doc for a local large company, and another is a qualified surgeon, doing a day a week operating in a nearby hospital, and another session doing private operations at the Practice (mainly vasectomies from both the Practice and others in the town. I'm sure most GPs also do private medicals for insurance companies, employers and so on, so it's easy to see where the extra-curricular stuff comes from, as well as their admin, CPD responsibilities and so on. And, of course, some will choose to work part-time, for a million and one reasons.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure the 6 sessions represents all their work. Isn't this just their surgery time? Certainly at my practice they do other work in addition to the surgery sessions. They also run the local community hospital where they are responsible for the in-patients on a daily basis who they visit and look after, not to mention call outs to the nursing homes, plus they have a lot of admin work, training sessions, and duties in the minor injuries treatment room (including minor ops). Probably other things too.

Yes, I forgot when writing my previous reply that we have several boarding schools in our area that are served by our practice GPs. I imagine that will keep some of them busy over and above their surgery sessions.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know the doctor we are registered with only works part time at our practice and works elsewhere the rest of the time . I think they have such trouble recruiting doctors in our area that part time is better than nothing. It does lead to a 6 week wait for an appointment !

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
We had one senior partner GP (now retired at 50) that used to work Sundays to catch up on paperwork and because none of the other partners would help.

From being Chair of a PPG I know that our 4-6 GP's either salaried or Partners did not work anything extra to their sessions except the one senior partner.

I of course know that as in all walks of life, some people do put in extra and contribute widely elsewhere but certainly in my two practices in past 5 years it has been a rarity.

They do of course have referrals etc to arrange between their sessions when shut between mornings and afternoon for patients.

Huge amounts are undertaken by Practice Managers and staff...the PM at our practice arranged all the funding, accountants, S136 Applications, PPG, CQC inspections, reports, complaints and reports to go to NHS England etc and the achievements for DES monies and submitting extension plans etc and all the staff individual duties.
The GPs do have to keep their qualifications up to date, as do nurses in their own time.

Unfortunately my recent experiences haven't had anybody that is so involved as Dr Unwin etc...

There are some phenonomal GPs and Nurses and staff but just wondered from a patient point of view how they thought of the actual proposals...

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
My HGV license renewal a few years ago cost £175 for ten minutes work. Can't be done on NHS.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Even elderly homes in my old area had 2 district nurses (each nurse with 2 degrees) working for them full time to minimise GP concern. We had one of the highest qty of nursing homes (9) at the time...