Probiotics Labelled As Next To Useless

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45434753

Seems our bodies are good at eliminating things that don't belong here, and so they go straight from mouth to the exit portal without touching the sides effectively. Seems there is also a downside to probiotics if you are on an antibacterial treatment,

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry, no sources but I read somewhere that there are over a thousand types of bacteria in a healthy gut. In these probiotics there are between 4 and 12 types so the problems are twofold, how does one know one may have a deficiency or overgrowth of a particular type of bacteria and without testing how does one find out if this remedial drink has worked? First the bacteria have to survive the acid bath in the stomach then they have to find a space to lodge and live in the gut.
I'm not convinced about pre or pro biotics yet.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Statins, probiotics.. does anything we are sold/prescribed ever work properly... or is it all just a big con?
I think I can have a good guess...

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Statins, probiotics.. does anything we are sold/prescribed ever work properly... or is it all just a big con?
I think I can have a good guess...
My experirence with laxatives show they at least do work....... Antacids, not so sure about.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My experience after having lots of courses of antibiotics at once resulting in my food going straight through me almost unaltered is that probiotics do work. They were necessary for me at that time.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My experirence with laxatives show they at least do work....... Antacids, not so sure about.
In the past I used to find Rennies very helpful for rather acute reflux / indigestion. However since starting low carb I have not bought a single pack. IMO few meds work as well as a low carb diet! Which is not to say that once on a low carb diet we can stop taking all our meds.