Problem with Lilly Pen(s) it seems

cueball0791

This is the second type injection pen I've had from the Lilly range. It is the 'Luxura' and it delivers insulin in the same way as the 'ergopen' did, were you need to release at least '1-2' units of air before insulin is available. It became apparent after I went through a stint of eratic blood readings and narrowed the problem down to the delivery of the pen. Seems to be a flaw and it can waste insulin too. Although you could also say that it cleanses the needle of excess blood (if the needle is used again fo course). I have a Sofano Ovantis opti pen for the Lantus and that delivers instantly with no wastage.

Has anyone else experianced the same problem?
Cueball

lindap

Hi
I have been aware of this when a new cartridge is loaded but not with each injection. Is that what you have found?

cueball0791

Not when the cartridge has been first loaded, although yes the air needs to be expelled on first use. It also occurs when the pen has been in idle use, and by that I mean it has not been used until the next 'scheduled' injection is due.

My opinion is that the problem arises overtime because of the deterioration of the plastic corkscrew mechanism. If left idle for a period of time and the through the pressure of air getting into the cartirdge, the device would readjust itself into a position that would be asynchronous with the 'measure display counter', and therefore giving an inaccurate dosage of insulin. 1mml may become 0.65 mml etc. I suppose the deterioration of the mechanism would be similar to how a plastic plumbing screw would be capable of leaking water over time, such as a garden hose after multiple usages. The Sofano Aventis Optipen does not have this problem as the delivery shaft is metal. I have had this for over a year. The Lilly Ergopen and the Luxura both have a plastic delivery shaft.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Have you contacted the manufacturers and informed them of your concerns ?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Here are the contact details for Ely Lilley Customer Care in the UK.
By Mail
Eli Lilly and Company Limited
Lilly House
Priestley Road
Basingstoke
Hampshire
RG24 9NL

By Phone
General Enquiries: 01256 315000

Product and Medical Information: 01256 315999

Having been in touch with them recently over another matter I found that they are extremly helpful.
Your concerns may the first they have had ?

Ken.

cueball0791

Ok Ken, thanks for the info :)

I'm sure the 'Lilly' company will listen carefully as they wouldn't like to lose market share, paticularly if this experiance becomes widely accepted.