problem with panic attacks

Omantench

My girlfriend is a type one diabetic and was diagnosed at around age eight. She's twenty five now and very responsible about her condition.

About a month ago we were shopping in town and suddenly her blood went very low and she started to panic. We called an ambulance and everything was fine.

It appears to me now that she's having panic attacks worrying that she's going low. She's aware that these are fits of nerves but says that the symptoms (eg racing heart) of a panic attack are easily-confused with that of going low.

Are these attacks common amongst diabetics? Does anyone have any advice for me in order to calm her down? Is there medication she can go on to help curb these panicings?

Thanks ever so much in advance,
Ed

jopar

I found that when I sufferd panic attacks (non -diabetic) that jut having some-one to talk to me would help to take my mind of it, and being taken to a quieter area also helped..

But I do suggest that she see her GP with this, as the quicker that it delt the less likley that it become a bigger problem...

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
I have been suffering from anxiety attacks for years, but I don't believe they are related to the diabetes. They could be caused by it psychologically, but not everyone who suffers diabetes has them obviously. I am not sure about medication, I haven't ever asked for help with them, not sure why. Perhaps because of the stigma attached to them. Some people might not believe in the seriousness of them and would adopt the "pull yourself together" view that alot of people have towards depression. What they don't realise is that during an anxiety attack all common sense flies out of the window and your fight/flight response is racing through you.
First of all though, I know this sounds harsh, but there is nothing you can physically do to help her except be there. The problem, if not a physical one, is in her head and only she can work through it. There are many techniques that she can try that you can help her with, like deep breathing etc.
You might find this website helpful.
http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/
My personal experience has been that if I distract myself with other thoughts or activities it works wonders, I have also started talking tough to myself. I imagine a little Sgt Major in my head telling me not to be so bloody daft and just put my shoulders back and get through it. :mrgreen: Eventually you start to recognise the signs of one approaching so that you can repel it.
Good luck to her though, perhaps someone here will have some more advice/experience as well.

Omantench

thank you both of you.

I'm a scientist by trade (biology) and so understand to a small degree the psychology and physiology behind both diabetes and panic attacks. I think you're right v bee, they're not related in this issue.

What makes it difficult for the both of us is that we live in seperate cities (Bristol & London) and I've noticed lately that it's when she has to travel home (we take it in turns visiting each other at weekends) she starts to panic, it's almost like she's going to be on her own and that worries her. I also feel helpless when I'm 100+ miles away but I do what I can. My trauma is nothing, however, to what she has to go through every day.

I try not to take the "tough love" approach but do try and remain assured and definite because, as I see it, if I start to panic too that would only exacerbate the situation.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

1000nettie

I have exactly the same problem, but my solution is to eat more and as a result I am putting on weight, which I am not happy about.

I am so paranoid about having a hypo that I will eat to avoid it, not just to stop it when it starts.

It does take a lot to get over this, and I have lived with panic attacks for the last 11 years so I know how difficult it can be. Maybe she needs to talk to her doctor about it.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
although nothing to do with my diabetes,i had a breakdown and was left with severe anxiety and panic attacks,im ok now but at the time was very ill,i did have some cbt and psychotherapy and it did help tremendously,this may be an option u might think of trying :)

ChezMorgan

Dislikes
Peppers , Spiders, War and people who think they are better than me, we are all equal !
I too suffered from anxiety attacks, But i dont think it had much to do with my diabetes, more to do with my depression. I got them in the middle of the night, for what seamed like no reason i would wake up thinking something awful was going to happen but i didnt know what, i just wanted to cry and scream and panic and usually i thought i was going to die.
I think the reason i got them is because i felt totally out of control of my life at that time. My GP would not prescribe anything as i was already on prozac, which is given for depression & anxiety. What amazed me though was when i told my family..... my mum ,my sister in law and mother inlaw told me they suffered from exactly the same thing for many years and all used their own relaxation techniques to get through them.

Me, well i found that if i get the feeling that one is coming on i get the hoover out and start cleaning it takes my mind of it, silly i know ...... i think it just a distraction.
I havent had one for quite some months now. Once you know what they are, know your not the only one and can understand the attacks a bit better you can fight them off easier, or at least cope.

Trinkwasser

Hypos cause a dump of neuroendocrines like epinephrine norepinephrine and cortisol, and this can also be generated by a rapid BG drop not ending as low as a measurable hypo. These and the other chemicals produced are similar to what are involved in anxiety.

Might be a plan to check her BG at the time and hopefully before these attacks, see what's occurring. Evening out the BG may help prevent them.

pooh_bear138

I have exactly the same problem, but my solution is to eat more and as a result I am putting on weight, which I am not happy about.

I am so paranoid about having a hypo that I will eat to avoid it, not just to stop it when it starts.

1000nettie you sound just exactly like me. I used to run marathons and was under 11 stone; now I am nearly 17 stone and all because I ate to avoid the slightest risk of a hypo. Not that my figures are absolutely low, but the rate of fall starts off a sort of hormonal "bungee jump" of adrenaline etc. as Trinkwasser mentions.

Like ChezMorgan I also get them late at night which makes them doubly incomprehensible. I've come to the conclusion that part of it seems to be over-breathing (hyperventilation) which can have widely differing causes - for example tight clothing can do it, having a distended tummy from eating "windy" food or perhaps the position I'm lying in bed could restrict my breathing and starts things off. As an alternative to the breathing in to a paper bag technique usually suggested, humming is very useful. Don't laugh! Not only does it take your mind off things, but by extending the outbreath you restore the oxygen/CO2 balance in your blood!