Problematic Novorapid Flexpens.

jinatki

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Anyone else having problems with Novorapid flexpens cracking, jamming, leaking, etc? thus rendering them totally useless.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't use the pens but have you taken them back to the pharmacy for a replacement?

If it's a persistent problem then contact your Dr/DSN and they'll change your prescription, but suggest you also report the pens using the Yellow Card Scheme:

https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

Hope you get sorted @jinatki

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If these continue to give problems then ask the DN to change you to refillable cartridge pens. I've been using these for my Novorapid and Levemir for 3 years with no problems.

Reactions: 2 people

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing springs to mind :)
I have only just finished my first NovaRapid pen. I was only diagnosed 3 weeks ago. But I have not had a problem with it.

jharding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like they may not have been well-handled or safely transported if you have more than one causing issues.

I use a Novopen Echo now; the refillable cartridge pen allows for 0.5U dosage increments and I found that to be far better.

John

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi John. Thanks for posting about your 0.5u refillable cartridge NovaPen Echo. Having a pen which uses 0.5u will be very helpful for matching insulin with carbs more accurately

jharding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi John. Thanks for posting about your 0.5u refillable cartridge NovaPen Echo. Having a pen which uses 0.5u will be very helpful for matching insulin with carbs more accurately
I had to ask for it. I spoke to my GPs after I was diagnosed and asked for a NovoRapid Echo pen. I got asked why, and had to explain about the half-unit increments. It came two days later to the pharmacy to collect with the test strips, Lantus, NovoRapid cartridges, etc.

A worthwhile five minutes. :)

Surely, should be standard issue given the finer control?

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes... I agree that they should be offered. Would be cool to see some with 0.1u increments too. For people with OCD like me. :)

jharding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughters Roche pump allows bolus increments of 0.1U. Just as well as at some parts of the day her insulin sensitivity is 1U=5.8mmol/l!

But there is limited CGM capabilities on that pump so it's probably a bit behind the curve now.

John