Problems getting balanced

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have been having a very frustrating few months trying to keep my levels balanced. Wondering if all you knowledgeable lot could throw in some suggestions.
Diagnosed type 1 three years ago at the age of 54. Had a brother for support who was 35 years in to this roller coaster. Retirement 14 months ago doesn't seem to have helped as life is so more erratic now. Have done DAFNE and eat healthily. Average 150 carbs a day.
I take Toujeo 7 units in the evening and Humalog. My problem is if I fast during the day to test my basal then my levels rise into the teens. During the night they drop, some nights to hypo level.
I also have high weeks and low weeks even though doing nothing different.
Thanks in anticipation.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @becca59
if you are basal testing during the day and getting rises and / getting night time hypos all on the 1 dose of toujeo -- it suggests your timing of dose may need looking at , or maybe you would be suited with a different long acting insulin , or perhaps the need to talk with your care team would be something to think about.

have you discussed your regime with your DSN since retirement ??

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What advice have you been goven around toujeo? Have you tried the other basal insulins!

Only asking really because I have tried all insulins, pump, cgm etc and my "stand in" consultant would not consider tourjeo for me....

If you are going high/low..

Do you carb count acccurately?

Do you keep 5 clear hours between lunch, tea etc. Or do you have snacks?
Do you alter your bolus rates.

You mention learning roller coaster off brother.. diabetes really doesn't have to be a rollsr coaster... not with correct management, insulin, timings of food etc.. ratios etc etc...

Can you give us details for 24 hours of your eating, injecting regime? Ie food and ratio's and how long before hand you inject and what your levels are 2 hours after eating and during the night?

You can get great advice with more info...

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your basal tests are showing you rising in the day, but you are hypoing overnight that does suggest you basal isn't suiting you. Have you done overnight basal tests? Have a chat with your DSN see if they suggest different basal insulin, or dose, or timing.

iHs

If the low bg levels occur around the 2-3am mark in the night, then a sensible compromise is to eat a snack around 10 - 11pm before bed and try to include some protein in the snack. I always needed to eat something before bed as failure to do so had me in hypoland

Reactions: azure

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my hospital appt in November and the concern was hypos. Had to reduce my basal which has made day time highs worse.
I have a good 5 hour gap between food. Never snack (never did). I inject about 5 mins before eating.
I changed to Toujeo in the summer after having split dose lantus which was a pain. I have been told by the consultant that it wouldn't make any difference when I took it. ( I take at 9pm) I feel that my carb counting is bang on. My ratio is usually 1:10. But I do alter these rates if my levels are running high and do take correction doses after 5hrs.
I don't do a check after 2 hours. We were told not to on the DAFNE course as you may correct whilst insulin is in the system.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you don't test 2 hours after meals, how do you know your ratios are correct?

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A danfe course also told me not to do the 2 hour post meal check. But I do.

Reactions: azure

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If your blood meter has an acting time on it and its set to be normal at 5 hours then you would not worry about testing at 2 hours at all and hypos...

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I have taken it all on board and after Christmas shall experiment with a few things. (Going abroad prior so don't want to make things worse!) My consultant is after having me try the pump which is something I wanted to avoid. Want to cover every other avenue first. Thanks again.