Problems with Accuchek Insight

gillsb

Hope I am in the right place. I am the mother of a type 1 (9years now) previously on a Medtronic pump but upgraded to the new Accuchek Insight in January. After a nightmare 6 months with several replacement pumps and numerous handsets the final straw came when the pump appeared to change its own settings and cut off her background insulin altogether. Pump was taken back again and another replacement issued but we have lost all confidence and she has been back on MDI since. Accucheck have the report back on the pump but wont release it at the moment. I am the admin on a facebook group "Parents of Type 1 Uni Students" and through this have discovered we are not alone, there are several people who have major concerns about this new pump but nothing seems to be happening other than them being given the original combo pump. I am getting nowhere fast and at the moment we are in limbo land! Has anyone else had problems as I am gradually building a list of people with issues as this pump frightens me - hearing about random boluses being delivered etc is quite scarey. Something needs to be done!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have a look in the pumping forum, you will find loads of problems. Most have asked for the combi back or changed pump brand.

LSPAngel2000

My son is 6mths into using the insight pump. Luckily the pump settings are locked sercurely on his and so far it's been the bg meter that's failed him.
A) it's slower than any meter he has had before.
b) he is on his 3rd replacement meter which is still in its box as he has lost all confidence with it.
C). The charger is useless and stupidly slow to charge when it decides to work.

He uses his first ever meter to do bg tests and then manually bolus' on the insight pump.

The random bolus issue is beyond belief. They should be holding there hands up admitting that they have fudged up whilst demanding all insights to be recalled and a suitable pump provided for the time being. I was advised to write a letter stating all the problems my son has had with the insight devices. Not going to as shouldn't have to spend precious time convincing them of something that they are being very slow at rectifying considering lots of other users of this pump have had problems. Are they waiting until it causes a fatality until they do something? I'm quite sickened by the lack of urgency or ownership of this huge error.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My son is 6mths into using the insight pump. Luckily the pump settings are locked sercurely on his and so far it's been the bg meter that's failed him.
A) it's slower than any meter he has had before.
b) he is on his 3rd replacement meter which is still in its box as he has lost all confidence with it.
C). The charger is useless and stupidly slow to charge when it decides to work.

He uses his first ever meter to do bg tests and then manually bolus' on the insight pump.

The random bolus issue is beyond belief. They should be holding there hands up admitting that they have fudged up whilst demanding all insights to be recalled and a suitable pump provided for the time being. I was advised to write a letter stating all the problems my son has had with the insight devices. Not going to as shouldn't have to spend precious time convincing them of something that they are being very slow at rectifying considering lots of other users of this pump have had problems. Are they waiting until it causes a fatality until they do something? I'm quite sickened by the lack of urgency or ownership of this huge error.

Unless problems are reported to MHRA then Accuchek will never do a recall....

Unlesspeople report how on earth are the medical authoritys meant to find out these problems.

You could spend a few minutes on the MHRA website describing the experiences and along with others that are complaining about handsets etc you could force "accuchek" to do a recall.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hope I am in the right place. I am the mother of a type 1 (9years now) previously on a Medtronic pump but upgraded to the new Accuchek Insight in January. After a nightmare 6 months with several replacement pumps and numerous handsets the final straw came when the pump appeared to change its own settings and cut off her background insulin altogether. Pump was taken back again and another replacement issued but we have lost all confidence and she has been back on MDI since. Accucheck have the report back on the pump but wont release it at the moment. I am the admin on a facebook group "Parents of Type 1 Uni Students" and through this have discovered we are not alone, there are several people who have major concerns about this new pump but nothing seems to be happening other than them being given the original combo pump. I am getting nowhere fast and at the moment we are in limbo land! Has anyone else had problems as I am gradually building a list of people with issues as this pump frightens me - hearing about random boluses being delivered etc is quite scarey. Something needs to be done!

You and everyone else need to log all problems on the MHRA website. Contacting Accuchek is no good. Unless you record and others too your experiences to the MHRA then you will just have to put up with a dreadfulpump for 4 years.

My Insight pump is packed away. I had huge problems that were put downto me being to lean and muscly....I went back to MDI.

5 years ago I complained to MHRA about one of their sets for the old combo pump and eventually it was withdrawn. I was at the time the only person on this website saying there was a problem with them.

With all the people complaining about this pump it should be withdrawn but until you all report the problems officially to the MHRA then Acuchek can keep fobbing you off.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Honestly, Accuchek can record all they like.. It's only when problems are logged officially as equipment failure to the MHRA website that they will be made accountable.

gillsb

Thanks for the advice I have reported to MHRA using the yellow card scheme online, maybe if enough people report their problems this way then something will be done!

Reactions: 4 people

SunnyB

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
We must be the lucky ones!? Little boy has been on this pump since Sep and not one problem X

Dynomason

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
My son moved onto the accu chek insight October 2015. Previously on the combo. We are constantly having E57 error messages. In December whilst at football, my son (7years) reported he felt low. Tried checking his bloods and could not get the handset to switch on. I treated him whilst driving home panicking and had to use an old monitor to check him 2.7 but the time I got home. The handset was replaced straight away. 8 weeks on and we have not got the same problem. Tonight whilst out at a friends, it failed again whilst my son was hypo. Drove home rechecked using old monitor and was 2.8. I contacted the care line and they told me the handset is sensitive to interference. Its not good enough and I will report via the yellow card system. This pump is not fit for purpose and is unsafe. Surely I shouldnt be carrying a spare handset with me every time I leave the house. The combo was def more reliable

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
This is a quote from another forum and other people it seems have been told the same thing

Always make sure that the battery in the handset is charged and does not get to the point of showing red on the status screen. (I now charge my handset 3 times a week - I set a reminder on my phone so that I do it at the same time and on the same day etc)
The other advice was to press and hold the power button every now and then, which then actually makes it come on in the same way as it does after it has produced an error message ie slowly and playing the tune that you don't usually get. By pressing this button ocassionally it apparantly clears the cache on the handset and allows it to work better.